Register to reply

Atmospheric radiation scattering/absorption

by lurksalot
Tags: atmospheric, radiation
Share this thread:
lurksalot
Nov4-09, 06:10 PM
P: 12
I am still trying to assess the ability of the sun to heat a house through glass and I am a bit stuck .
Most solar flux /radiation measurements I have found are based on a total of direct and diffuse radiation on a horizontal surface and then formulated for vertical surfaces with some cosine functions depending on orientation.
Now, at for example , a latitude of 53deg between October through to May (inclusive, being the UK heating season ) the total values are around 180Kwhrs/sqmtr for North and 490 Kwhrs/sqmtr South .
My issue is that the measured North figure will be purely be diffuse radiation and thus basically the energy would be from the visible portion of the spectrum ie light . On the basis that 97% of the solar power is in the visible and near IR range and that radiation diffused through H2O will have been absorbed and radiated at a higher wavelength , that the resultant 180Kwhrs on a North facing vertical face would be the energy of the visible light ?
Also on the basis that the energy from the sun is approx 45% visible light and 50% near IR would it be reasonable to assess that even on full disc sunshine only 50% of the insolation value could be used to calculate heat benefit ?
This probably sounds a bit daft but any clarification of my limited understanding of this would be of great benefit
Many thanks Kev
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
lurksalot
Nov5-09, 07:10 PM
P: 12
Any Help is appreciatted

Register to reply