Conductivity..

by weston_sagle
Tags: conductivity
Share this thread:
weston_sagle
Nov7-09, 08:50 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
At what temperature does a carbon resistor have a resistance of 995 ohms, if it has a resistance of 1000 ohms at 20 degrees? What is its conductivity at the new temperature?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I don't even know where to start.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
buffordboy23
Nov7-09, 09:57 PM
P: 540
Do you have any equations that relate the change of some property (e.g. resistivity) of a conductor with temperature changes?
weston_sagle
Nov7-09, 10:13 PM
P: 5
Well, the situation isn't ideal. We recently got a new teacher, after our old teacher canceled 2 weeks of classes. Now we are trying to catch up so we have an assignment on material we haven't covered. I also have no textbook for the class. I did google searches but could only find R= conductivity*L/A but I don't have length or area.

buffordboy23
Nov7-09, 10:55 PM
P: 540
Conductivity..

Check out this link then:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/restmp.html

Then think about the connections between resistance, resistivity, and conductivity.

I don't understand why there is no text for the course. Is this a college-level course? There are many older editions of quality texts that you can get dirt cheap through Amazon.com, for example.

Also, the equation you quoted in your previous post should have "conductivity" replaced with "resistivity", according to one of my texts.

Register to reply