Register to reply

The rate of change of pressure

by sarahh
Tags: pressure, rate, urgentthe
Share this thread:
sarahh
Jul20-04, 04:12 AM
P: 5
Our problem is that we measured the rate of change of pressure of a liquid at different length of a pipe, for example, x=0, x=5cm, ... etc, caused by a pump at x=0-15cm=-15cm and got a result that at x=0, dP1/dt1 = -dP2/dt2, where dP1 is the pressure difference over a fixed interval, del t1, and dP2 is the pressure difference over a fixed interval, del t2,
i.e. -----------
- -
- -
del t1 |3 minutes | del t2
(just like a trapezium without the bottom part), and del t1=del t2. Pumping power is decreasing from t=0 to t=4minutes and pumping power =0 when t>4 minutes.
Is it accurate if we try to explain this observation as follows:
Due to conservation of momentum, the rate of momentum-changing force per unit area, dP1/dt, produced by the pump is balanced by an equivalent negative rate of momentum-changing force per unit area, -dP2/dt produced by the system after 3 minutes at x=0.
dP1/dt=-dP2/dt, where dP1 is the pressure changes over a fixed interval of time (del t1) and dP2 is the pressure changes over another fixed interval of time (del t2) at x=0, and del t1 = del t2.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Sarah
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
JohnDubYa
Jul20-04, 04:35 AM
P: 1,322
I have this feeling of deja vu that I cannot quite get over. I have no idea why. How odd.

Register to reply