Register to reply

That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.

by Richard87
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Richard87
Nov28-09, 09:25 AM
P: 30
"That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind."

That is a contradiction. Neil Armstrong meant to include the article "a", but he was probably so excited to be making the announcement that he left it out accidentally.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Vanadium 50
Nov28-09, 10:41 AM
Mentor
P: 16,123
What is the point of this? What does this have to do with astronomy?
gabrielh
Dec2-09, 08:32 AM
P: 76
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
What is the point of this? What does this have to do with astronomy?
I was thinking the same thing.

jtbell
Dec2-09, 04:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,604
That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.

Quote Quote by Richard87 View Post
Neil Armstrong meant to include the article "a", but he was probably so excited to be making the announcement that he left it out accidentally.
Nah, it's probably because he's from Ohio. An Ohio accent is so flat and featureless that it's easy to lose a little word like an "a." Or even syllables of words. A friend of mine who lived in Columbus for a few years told me that the natives call it "Clumbus."

I grew up in Ohio (not in Clumbus, though), and when I left the state, everybody else sounded exotic.
Pythagorean
Dec2-09, 04:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
I thought I remembered something about an audio analysis revealing that he actually did say "a".
Pythagorean
Dec2-09, 04:42 PM
PF Gold
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4225856.html
Evo
Dec2-09, 05:04 PM
Mentor
P: 26,431
Actually that's disputed. http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

The quote was the result of suggestions sent in to NASA and this quote was chosen from the entries. Odd that a quick google search is not pulling up the name of the guy that came up with the quote. Some of the entries were pretty bad.
FredGarvin
Dec2-09, 06:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
On the BBC show "Being Neil Armstrong" the writer interviewed one of Neil's best friends growing up. He said that they came up with that on the way to the moon and it was inspired by a poem or story that Neil knew. For the life of me I can not remember what it was. They did talk about it though.
leroyjenkens
Dec2-09, 07:20 PM
P: 536
If you listen to him say it, he says "man" directly after "for", leaving no room for an "a". There's not even the tiniest of pauses between the two words for a hidden "a" to fit. He definitely missed the "a".
mgb_phys
Dec2-09, 07:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
If you listen to him say it, he says "man" directly after "for", leaving no room for an "a".
Why didn't they use a second take ?
Evo
Dec2-09, 07:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,431
Quote Quote by FredGarvin View Post
On the BBC show "Being Neil Armstrong" the writer interviewed one of Neil's best friends growing up. He said that they came up with that on the way to the moon and it was inspired by a poem or story that Neil knew. For the life of me I can not remember what it was. They did talk about it though.
I was 14 and lived near NASA in Clear Lake. It was on the local news that he had chosen the phrase from one that had been sent in. They also quoted some of the phrases that did not get considered. Hmmmm.

I remember thinking "how cool to have been the person to have your phrase chosen". Up until today, I thought it was common knowledge that Armstrong didn't come up with it. Wow. Could it be that the information was only on a local tv broadcast? Are there any interviews with him immediately after the moon landing where he states he made it up himself? I can only find where years later he took credit for it.
edward
Dec2-09, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 874
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I was 14 and lived near NASA in Clear Lake. It was on the local news that he had chosen the phrase from one that had been sent in. They also quoted some of the phrases that did not get considered. Hmmmm.

I remember thinking "how cool to have been the person to have your phrase chosen".
Alternative phrases might make an interesting thread.
leroyjenkens
Dec3-09, 08:39 AM
P: 536
I heard one that got rejected; "Ah crap, I stepped in alien poop".
Pythagorean
Dec3-09, 03:07 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Actually that's disputed. http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

The quote was the result of suggestions sent in to NASA and this quote was chosen from the entries. Odd that a quick google search is not pulling up the name of the guy that came up with the quote. Some of the entries were pretty bad.
Good catch. I'd heard it on the radio one day a while ago.
edward
Dec3-09, 11:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 874
A British scientist named Gary Peach claims to have come up with the quote.

Mr Peach said: “I replied no technical problems, but I am concerned about the historic moment when the first man sets foot upon the Moon. In the excitement, knowing the Yanks as I do, it’ll probably be something like ‘Holy chicken s**t look at all that f***ing dust’.

‘Well what would you say?’” Mr Peach, who had been mulling it over for several days, replied: “One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6722041.ece
wildman
Dec4-09, 12:58 AM
P: 252
Of course he meant "a man". Look he had just taken a hair raising decent that almost killed him and now he is stepping for the first time onto an alien world and you are judging him for leaving out an "a"? That is crazy. It was amazing that he would be able to talk at all.
ideasrule
Dec4-09, 01:55 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,323
I think the quote sounds better without the "a". Leaving it out gives the two phrases a very beautiful parallel structure:

one small step for man
one giant leap for mankind
Jimmy Snyder
Dec4-09, 07:15 AM
P: 2,179
That's one small step for a man or woman, one giant leap for personkind.

Register to reply