How can I build a radio tuned to 120.55 Mhz using a simple circuit?

• Thread starter Phymath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, to create a radio tuned to 120.55 Mhz you would need a 1 micro Henry inductor and a 1.743 pF capacitor.
Phymath
How would u make a radio that's tuned into 120.55 Mhz? or any frequency? I thought you would fallow this formula...
(120.55 * 10^6 Hz) = 1/(2 pi sqrt(LC)), where L is the inductence, and C the capacitor. well i figured a 1 micro (10^-6) Henry inductor and a 1.743 pF (10^-12) would create the resonance frequency of 120.55 Mhz and thus that radio station would come in on the sieres circut i created, but would this acutally work? what would be the actually schematic where to place the anntenna, ground, diode, head phones, etc.. thanks to anyone who can explain to me if or how it will work

-Phymath

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've seen that

One of my instructors showed us a simple AM radio he built with just that type of setup. It was a totally passive radio. A simple antenna lead to a tank circuit... the tank circuit was in parallel to another parallel branch that had a diode and capacitive earphone (single earphone).

Why 120.55 Mhz is there at strong station there , and if so is it AM or FM .
The type of circuit your referring to is the simplest form of AM radio. It comprises a parallel tuned circuit using a cap of say 20 pf ( usually a variable ) with suitable inductor per your calc. of good Q . They used to wind them . The antenna ( wire of several feet )is connected to one end of the // pair and a ground "large metal chassis'
to the other. A diode is connected from the antenna side to some earphones and then back to ground. The earphones should be coil types NOT capacitive.
This circuit is NOT very sensitive and used to be used for longwave radio reception at 500Khz or so. It will not receive FM stations .
If your really serious you may wish to look at some modern chips which can be the basis of very sensitive circuits , but they require a fair amount of support components.
Ray.

Hi.
What RFbeginner told U is a good project, I made once this type. U don't have to use power sources or batt's, only a big antenna, an earphone (like the old phones), and creativity making the inductance. It works better if you use a mobile indictance inside the first one.
Bye.

These sorts of passive radios are called "crystal radios," by the way, and the web is teeming with info about them.

- Warren

1. How does a radio work?

A radio works by receiving radio waves, which are electromagnetic waves that carry information through the air. These waves are picked up by the radio's antenna and converted into electrical signals. The signals are then amplified and converted into sound waves, which are heard through the radio's speakers.

2. What materials do I need to make a radio?

To make a basic radio, you will need a diode, a coil of copper wire, a capacitor, a speaker, and a power source (such as a battery). You may also need tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and a soldering iron to assemble the components.

3. Can I make a radio without any electronics experience?

Making a radio does require some basic knowledge of electronics and circuitry. However, there are many online tutorials and step-by-step guides available that can help beginners make a simple radio. It is important to follow safety precautions and seek guidance if needed.

4. How long does it take to make a radio?

The time it takes to make a radio can vary depending on your skill level and the complexity of the design. A simple radio can be made in a few hours, while a more advanced design may take several days. It is important to take your time and follow each step carefully to ensure the radio works properly.

5. Can I make a radio that can pick up different stations?

Yes, you can make a radio that can pick up different stations by adding a tuning mechanism to adjust the frequency of the radio waves being received. This can be done by using a variable capacitor or a variable inductor in the circuit. However, the range and quality of the stations you can pick up will depend on the strength of the radio waves in your area and the design of your radio.