Falling objects

by JBP
Tags: falling, objects
JBP
Jul23-04, 05:15 AM
P: 3
Hi there,

I've spent some hours on trying to make a simulator (in Excel) for calculating the forces involved in a climbers fall.

I've found the following link (http://toad.stack.nl/~stilgar/calc.php) but can't figure it out - Maybe because my grades back in high-school were terrible

Could anyone please help me making the formulas?

The following variables will be available:

- Lenght of rope (in meters)
- Fall factor / Height of fall
- Dynamics of rope (in percent @ 80kg)
- Weight of climber (in kg)

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
pmb_phy
Jul24-04, 04:43 AM
P: 2,955
Quote Quote by JBP
Hi there,

I've spent some hours on trying to make a simulator (in Excel) for calculating the forces involved in a climbers fall.

I've found the following link (http://toad.stack.nl/~stilgar/calc.php) but can't figure it out - Maybe because my grades back in high-school were terrible

Could anyone please help me making the formulas?

The following variables will be available:

- Lenght of rope (in meters)
- Fall factor / Height of fall
- Dynamics of rope (in percent @ 80kg)
- Weight of climber (in kg)

Thanks in advance
You weren't clear as to what you were asking. I assume that you're asking what force a rope would exert on a person when the person, who has the rope tied around his waist falls and is prevented from falling all the way to the ground by the rope. That force is F = dp/dt where p is the momentum of the person who is falling and dt is the time inteval during which the person's momenum changes by the amount dp. I also don't know what you mean by "Dynamics of rope (in percent @ 80kg)". you need to know the properties of the rope such as Young's modulus for the rope.

Pete
JBP
Jul26-04, 04:01 AM
Quote Quote by pmb_phy
You weren't clear as to what you were asking. I assume that you're asking what force a rope would exert on a person when the person, who has the rope tied around his waist falls and is prevented from falling all the way to the ground by the rope. That force is F = dp/dt where p is the momentum of the person who is falling and dt is the time inteval during which the person's momenum changes by the amount dp. I also don't know what you mean by "Dynamics of rope (in percent @ 80kg)". you need to know the properties of the rope such as Young's modulus for the rope.

Pete
Hi Pete,

When I look at Your answer I can see that what I'm missing is the Young's modulus for the rope.
So lets start with that. I've found this formula:

E = (L*F)/(l*A)

E: Young's Modulus
L: Length of the rope
l: Change in lenght
F: Force
A: Area of the rope

I donīt know what units to use, please correct me in this example:

L = 100 meters
l = 7 meters (dynamics = 7%)
F = 784,8 newtons (80 kg x 9.81)
A = 314,29 mm^2 (10mm x 10mm x pi)
E = 35,67 (100*784,8 / 7*314,29)

Nenad
Jul27-04, 12:32 PM
P: 698

Falling objects

doesnt the rope act as a spring, it decelerates the faller. Dont you need the ropes spring coefficient?
JBP
Jul28-04, 03:10 AM
Quote Quote by Nenad
doesnt the rope act as a spring, it decelerates the faller. Dont you need the ropes spring coefficient?
Nenad,

I see Your point - do You know how to find/calculate the spring effect?
Nenad
Jul28-04, 10:49 AM
P: 698
well, you need to know the spring constant (k). This is in N/m. Then you can use the equation E = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of strech from the resting possition of the rope. The force exerted on the object being stopped by the rope would be F = -kx. You can play around with there equations and find the right constant so the g-force on the person is not too high.

Register to reply