Register to reply

A subspace spanned by polynomials 1 and x

by beramodk
Tags: polynomials, spanned, subspace
Share this thread:
beramodk
Dec21-09, 08:29 PM
P: 5
1. Let W be the linear subspace spanned by the polynomials 1 and x. Find an orthogonal projection of the polynomial p(x) = 1+x^2 to W. Find a basis in the space W(perp)

My problem is that I don't know how to represent W as a matrix so that I could apply the orthogonal projection formula.

Would it simply be [1, x] or [1 ; x]?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Dick
Dec21-09, 09:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
{1,x} is certainly a basis for W. But to define orthogonal you need to say what the inner product is.
jegues
Dec21-09, 10:26 PM
P: 1,089
Remember, the dot product (or inner product) should be equal to 0 if they are orthogonal.

beramodk
Dec21-09, 10:53 PM
P: 5
A subspace spanned by polynomials 1 and x

Quote Quote by Dick View Post
{1,x} is certainly a basis for W. But to define orthogonal you need to say what the inner product is.
If the inner product is given by: <p(x),q(x)> = integral (p(x)*q(x), x, 0, 1), how would i go about solving this problem?

(This is not my homework by the way, I'm studying for my final exam which is tomorrow, but I just can't figure out this problem.)

Thank you.
Dick
Dec21-09, 11:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
If a*1+b*x is a point in W that is the orthogonal projection, you want that <(1+x^2)-(a*1+b*x),1>=0 and <(1+x^2)-(a*1+b*x),x>=0. That would say that the difference between (1+x^2) and (a*1+b*x) is perpendicular to all of the vectors in W which is the span of {1,x}, wouldn't it? It's just two linear equations in the unknowns a and b.

Register to reply