Electric Field of a Charged Disk

by davezhan
Tags: charged, disk, electric, field
davezhan
Jan5-10, 12:39 PM
P: 3
I'm having a brain freeze and have a hard time understanding why the area of the ring is 2*pi*a*da. Can someone explain why it is the circumference times da?

Link to derivation: www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl36.pdf
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
berkeman
Jan5-10, 12:57 PM
Mentor
P: 39,648
Quote Quote by davezhan View Post
I'm having a brain freeze and have a hard time understanding why the area of the ring is 2*pi*a*da. Can someone explain why it is the circumference times da?

Link to derivation: www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl36.pdf
How would you write the equation for the area of that ring section? What happens when you simplify what you've written?
fluidistic
Jan5-10, 02:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,173
I don't know if it is of some help. Just in case, see post #2 : http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=363640.

HallsofIvy
Jan5-10, 03:38 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,890

Electric Field of a Charged Disk

Think of the ring as the region between two circles- one of radius a, the other of radius a+ da. The area of the inner circle is [itex]\pi a^2[/itex] and the area of the outer circle is [itex]\pi (a+ da)^2[/itex]. The area between them is [itex]\pi (a+da)^2- \pi a^2[/itex][itex]= \pi (a^2+ 2ada+ da^2)- \pi a^2[/itex][itex]= 2\pi a da+ \pi da^2[/itex]. Since da is an "infinitesmal", its square is negligible and the area is [itex]2\pi a da[/itex]. By saying that "da is an infinitesmal" I mean that this is true in the limit sense for very small da.

Here's another way to look at it: Imagine opening that strip up to a "rectangle". It's length is the circumference of the circle, [itex]2\pi a[/itex], and it's width is da. The area of that "rectangle" is "length times width", [itex]2\pi a da[/itex]. I have put "rectangle" in quotes because, of course, you cannot "open up" a circular strip into a rectangle. This is, again, only true in the limit sense.

If you were to take da to be any finite length, [itex]2\pi a da[/itex] would give you an approximate area, not an exact area. But you can use "da" in an integral to get the exact area.
davezhan
Jan5-10, 07:17 PM
P: 3
Thank you for your help! The above post helped to clarify things tremendously.

Register to reply