Register to reply

Verify that this is the solution to an ordinary differential equation

Share this thread:
NCyellow
Jan13-10, 01:45 PM
P: 22
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am given dy/dt -2yt = 1
and y(t) = (e^(t^2))[e^(-s^2)ds] + e^(t^2)
integrate from t to 0 within the brackets.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I know that the derivative of y(t) would equal e^(t^2)
However I do not know how I am supposed to solve after I plug all the numbers in. It becomes a huge mess with 2t * the whole mess that is y(t)
Please advise
Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Mark44
Jan13-10, 02:10 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Is this your y(t)?
[tex]y(t)~=~\int_0^t e^{t^2}(e^{-s^2})ds~+ e^{t^2}[/tex]
NCyellow
Jan13-10, 02:21 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
Is this your y(t)?
[tex]y(t)~=~\int_0^t e^{t^2}(e^{-s^2})ds~+ e^{t^2}[/tex]
Yes, but the first e^(t^2) is outside and multiplying the integral.

HallsofIvy
Jan13-10, 02:22 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Verify that this is the solution to an ordinary differential equation

Quote Quote by NCyellow View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am given dy/dt -2yt = 1
and y(t) = (e^(t^2))[e^(-s^2)ds] + e^(t^2)
integrate from t to 0 within the brackets

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I know that the derivative of y(t) would equal e^(t^2).
So
[tex]y(t)= e^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds+ e^{t^2}[/tex]?
No, the derivative is NOT [itex]e^{t^2}[/itex].
Differentiating,
[tex]y'= 2te^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds- e^{t^2}e^{-t^2}+ 2te^{t^2}[/tex]
[tex]= 2t(e^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds+ e^{t^2})- 1= 2ty- 1[/tex].
That's exactly why it satisfies dy/dt- 2ty= 1.
But that is NOT the "general solution". The way you have set it up, when t= 0, the integral is from 0 to 0 and so is 0. [itex]y(0)= 0+ e^{0^2}= 1[/itex]. This is the solution of dy/dx- 2ty= 1 with intial condition y(0)= 1. To get the general solution, add "+ C". Then choose C to give whatever specific value it is supposed to have.

However I do not know how I am supposed to solve after I plug all the numbers in. It becomes a huge mess with 2t * the whole mess that is y(t)
Please advise
Thank you!
Plug what numbers in? I have no idea what you are talking about! Do you mean differentiate it? (As I just did? I used the product rule on [itex]e^{2x}\int e^{-2s}ds[/itex] and the Fundamental theorem of Calculus to differentiate [itex]\int e^{-2s}ds[/itex] itself.)
NCyellow
Jan13-10, 02:31 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
So
[tex]y(t)= e^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds+ e^{t^2}[/tex]?
No, the derivative is NOT [itex]e^{t^2}[/itex].
Differentiating,
[tex]y'= 2te^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds- e^{t^2}e^{-t^2}+ 2te^{t^2}[/tex]
[tex]= 2t(e^{t^2}\int_t^0 e^{-s^2}ds+ e^{t^2})- 1= 2ty- 1[/tex].
That's exactly why it satisfies dy/dt- 2ty= 1.
But that is NOT the "general solution". The way you have set it up, when t= 0, the integral is from 0 to 0 and so is 0. [itex]y(0)= 0+ e^{0^2}= 1[/itex]. This is the solution of dy/dx- 2ty= 1 with intial condition y(0)= 1. To get the general solution, add "+ C". Then choose C to give whatever specific value it is supposed to have.

Plug what numbers in? I have no idea what you are talking about! Do you mean differentiate it? (As I just did? I used the product rule on [itex]e^{2x}\int e^{-2s}ds[/itex] and the Fundamental theorem of Calculus to differentiate [itex]\int e^{-2s}ds[/itex] itself.)
Hi, thank you very much. I guess i misread a rule from the book when I thought that differentiating it would be simple. When i said plugging numbers in I meant plugging the y and y' back into the original equation to make sure it works.
Mark44
Jan13-10, 02:51 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
y and y' aren't "numbers" to plug in - they are functions. It's very important to communicate clearly, even moreso in the context of a forum where you have to use text only, and there is a lag time between a question and an answer.
dacruick
Jan13-10, 03:03 PM
P: 1,084
when i do this i have the integral of e^(-t^2). which from my understanding is not a very fun integral. I dont understand the method you guys took to doing this. can someone explain??
NCyellow
Jan13-10, 03:12 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
y and y' aren't "numbers" to plug in - they are functions. It's very important to communicate clearly, even moreso in the context of a forum where you have to use text only, and there is a lag time between a question and an answer.
Hi, Thank you so much for helping me. I will try to be more clear in the future.
HallsofIvy
Jan14-10, 06:30 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
The derivative of
[tex]\int_0^x e^{-t^2}dt[/tex]
is just [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]- that's the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus". But [itex]\int_0^x e^{x^2}e^{-t^2}dt= e^{x^2}\int_0^t e^{-t^2}dt[/itex] is a product of functions of x and you have to use the chain rule.

Register to reply