What angle should the curve be banked at?

In summary, to determine the angle at which the curve should be banked for a comfortable ride, you need to consider the normal reaction of the road on the car (R), the weight of the car (mg), and the necessary centripetal force (m*v^2/r). By balancing these forces and using the equations for centripetal force and acceleration, you can solve for the angle (θ).
TheConfewsd

Homework Statement

A 162kg car rounds a curve with a radius of 267 m at 43 m/s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2

a. (already solved) - What force must the road exert on the road to keep the car on the curve.

1121.864 Newtons

b. - At what angle must the curve be banked to give a passenger the most comfortable ride?

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = mass x velocity2/radius
Centripetal acceleration = velocity2/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no attempt. I do not understand what part "b" of the problem is asking or how to solve for it.

I don't even really want a solution, I just need someone to explain to me how to solve what angle the curve should be banked at, and I'll solve it myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force should be the same as the component of the weight for a comfortable ride.

If R is the normal reaction of the road on the car, for comfortable driving, R*cosθ must balance the weight of the car mg, and R*sinθ must provide necessary centripetal force m*v^2/r. Using these hints solve for θ.

What angle should the curve be banked at?

The angle at which a curve should be banked depends on several factors such as the radius of the curve, the speed at which vehicles will be traveling, and the type of vehicles that will be using the curve.

How is the angle of a banked curve calculated?

The angle of a banked curve is calculated using the formula: tanθ = (v^2)/(rg) where θ is the angle, v is the speed of the vehicle, r is the radius of the curve, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What happens if the angle of a banked curve is too steep?

If the angle of a banked curve is too steep, it can cause vehicles to lose traction and potentially slip or skid off the road. It can also increase the risk of accidents and make it difficult for vehicles to maintain a safe speed.

Why do some curves not have any banking at all?

Some curves do not require any banking because they have a large enough radius or are designed for low speeds. In these cases, the natural centrifugal force of the turn is enough to keep vehicles on the road without the need for additional banking.

Are there any other factors that can affect the angle of a banked curve?

Other factors that can affect the angle of a banked curve include road conditions, weather conditions, and the type of tires on the vehicles. These factors should also be taken into consideration when determining the appropriate angle for a banked curve.