Battery Powered Nichrome Heating Element (80 Degrees)

by ryancanulla
Tags: battery, degrees, element, heating, nichrome, powered
ryancanulla
Jan25-10, 11:51 AM
P: 2
Hi there,

I have been doing research on a lil private project of my own, and am looking for some help.

Would it make sense to use nichrome wire to build a heating element that will heat to 80-100 degrees? It seems that nichrome is great for heating way way past that temperature. I want to run this initial test off of battery power.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
jmatejka
Jan25-10, 01:02 PM
P: 123
More information needed? Fahrenheit?,Open loop control?, closed loop? How about the wrap for pipes that helps keep them from freezing, open loop-constant temp, would that work?
ryancanulla
Jan25-10, 01:14 PM
P: 2
Hi there,

I'm looking to heat a 4in X 4in pad to 80 degrees F. Sorry I am a real newbie in this area, and trying to prototype a battery powered heating element.

I'm trying to apply this at a very small scale to not cause any6 bodily harm, start fires etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve1975
Feb1-10, 04:05 AM
P: 1

Battery Powered Nichrome Heating Element (80 Degrees)

Hello. I am trying to create a heating element which can reach 200f withing 2 seconds, is no bigger then 1/4" in diameter, can withstand repeated heating and cooling cycles for long periods of time, and is immersible in propylene glycol. I am shooting for the 3.7v to 7.4v area. Those are the only constraints.
I have achieved this with nichrome coils, but the lifespan is simply to short.
Any ideas????

Register to reply