Register to reply

LCD's - uniform electric field

by Masafi
Tags: electric, field, uniform
Share this thread:
Masafi
Jan25-10, 01:43 PM
P: 65
I have attached the question, and the answer. I dont understand the answer given.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 181.doc (29.5 KB, 10 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
berkeman
Jan25-10, 04:18 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by Masafi View Post
I have attached the question, and the answer. I dont understand the answer given.
I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...
Masafi
Jan26-10, 12:48 AM
P: 65
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
I agree that the answer is a bit obtuse, but do you understand how there is a torque on an electric dipole in an E-field? You can draw the F=qE force vectors if that helps...
It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?

berkeman
Jan26-10, 11:45 AM
Mentor
P: 40,730
LCD's - uniform electric field

Quote Quote by Masafi View Post
It is an uniform electric field, but the forces are not collinear... Why is this?
The forces are parallel when the dipole is sideways to the field, and colinear after the dipole aligns with the field. Can you draw the forces on a dipole, and describe what those forces will do to the dipole?

Register to reply