SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction

• Thread starter simazPHYS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the SR250 boxcar averager in toggle mode and the process of active baseline subtraction. The speaker suggests using a triggered function generator to produce a doubled frequency trigger and explains the algorithm of the SR250 in toggle mode. They also mention having an emitting diode driven by a pulse generator and the presence of a fluctuating baseline that they want to eliminate. The conversation ends with the speaker offering good luck.
simazPHYS
Hello, I have got a SR250 boxcar averager. I have got the manual, but still I don't understand how to use the active baseline subtraction. According to the manual, first I have to move the switch on the rear panel in TOGGLE position (ok, I did it). Then, in order to toggle with each other trigger, I should use the ACTIVE BASELINE SUBTRACTION output in the back. How?
In the experiment, I have an emitting diode driven by a pulse generator. The detected light is my signal input at the boxcar. The trigger comes from the pulse generator. Unfortuantely there is a fluctuating baseline I want to get rid of. How can I connect my setup? Do I need to double somehow the frequency, so that there will be two gates, one at the signal, the other at the baseline? Or this is done by the pulse generator?
I don't understand
Thanks
Simone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi

I am also using the SR250 boxcar averager in toggle mode.
The procedure I am doing is:
a) turn the rear switch to toggle mode
b) Introducing to the boxcar front trigger input a trigger with twice the frequency of the trigger that drives your diode (or laser in my application). Of course, the faster trigger should be synchronized in time to the original trigger. I use a triggered function generator to produce the doubled frequency trigger.
I believe the algorythm of the SR250 in toggle mode is as follows:
Output averaged signal = sum on the requested number of samples (defined by the number of samples button) with alternate signs (the odd samples have opposite sign than the even samples). Divided by the number of samples.

Good luck

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction?

SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction is used in spectroscopy experiments to remove background signals and improve the accuracy of spectral measurements.

2. How does SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction work?

This method involves taking multiple measurements with the boxcar filter enabled and then subtracting the average of these measurements from the original data. This effectively removes any low-frequency signals that may interfere with the spectral data.

3. What are the advantages of using SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction?

The main advantage is that it can greatly improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the spectral data, making it easier to identify and analyze small features. It also helps to remove any background signals that may be present, allowing for more accurate measurements.

4. Are there any limitations to using SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction?

One limitation is that it can only remove low-frequency signals, so it may not be effective for removing high-frequency noise. Additionally, it may not work well if the background signals are too strong or if there is a large variation in the background over time.

5. Can SR250 boxcar Active Baseline Subtraction be used for all types of spectroscopy experiments?

While it is commonly used in many types of spectroscopy, it may not be suitable for all experiments. It is important to consider the specific experimental setup and potential sources of background signals before deciding to use this method.