Uniform Electric Fields

by r_swayze
Tags: electric, fields, uniform
r_swayze
Jan27-10, 01:25 PM
P: 66
A particle with charge +7.88 μC is placed at the fixed position x = 3.00 m in an electric field of uniform strength 300 N/C, directed in the positive x direction. Find the position on the x axis where the electric field strength of the resulting configuration is zero.

I dont understand this problem. I thought if the electric field is of uniform strength, then the strength would be 300N/C throughout the field. How can the field strength be zero?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
pgardn
Jan27-10, 01:52 PM
P: 621
Quote Quote by r_swayze View Post
A particle with charge +7.88 μC is placed at the fixed position x = 3.00 m in an electric field of uniform strength 300 N/C, directed in the positive x direction. Find the position on the x axis where the electric field strength of the resulting configuration is zero.

I dont understand this problem. I thought if the electric field is of uniform strength, then the strength would be 300N/C throughout the field. How can the field strength be zero?
The charged particle would change the uniform field. In many questions of this nature, they give you a charged particle that is small enough that it does not effect the uniform field in any signficant manner and then asks you a question about what happens to the particle.

In your problem, I assume the charged particle is having a consequential effect on the uniform field if there is a place in this space where the field strength is zero. Also it says the charged particle is at a fixed position, meaning they dont want it to "react" to the uniform field.

Register to reply