Register to reply

Uniform Electric Fields

by r_swayze
Tags: electric, fields, uniform
Share this thread:
r_swayze
Jan27-10, 01:25 PM
P: 66
A particle with charge +7.88 μC is placed at the fixed position x = 3.00 m in an electric field of uniform strength 300 N/C, directed in the positive x direction. Find the position on the x axis where the electric field strength of the resulting configuration is zero.

I dont understand this problem. I thought if the electric field is of uniform strength, then the strength would be 300N/C throughout the field. How can the field strength be zero?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
pgardn
Jan27-10, 01:52 PM
P: 621
Quote Quote by r_swayze View Post
A particle with charge +7.88 μC is placed at the fixed position x = 3.00 m in an electric field of uniform strength 300 N/C, directed in the positive x direction. Find the position on the x axis where the electric field strength of the resulting configuration is zero.

I dont understand this problem. I thought if the electric field is of uniform strength, then the strength would be 300N/C throughout the field. How can the field strength be zero?
The charged particle would change the uniform field. In many questions of this nature, they give you a charged particle that is small enough that it does not effect the uniform field in any signficant manner and then asks you a question about what happens to the particle.

In your problem, I assume the charged particle is having a consequential effect on the uniform field if there is a place in this space where the field strength is zero. Also it says the charged particle is at a fixed position, meaning they dont want it to "react" to the uniform field.

Register to reply