Continuous bounded function - analysis

by Kate2010
Tags: analysis, bounded, continuous, function
Share this thread:
Kate2010
Jan31-10, 09:08 AM
P: 146
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Assume the theorem that a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds.
Prove that if f: R -> R is continuous and tends to +[tex]\infty[/tex] as x tends to +/- [tex]\infty[/tex] then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I understand the basic idea behind this but I'm not sure that my proof is rigorous enough.

R is not closed or bounded, however as x tends to +/- infinity f(x) tends to infinity, so won't affect its minimum value (do I need to prove this? If so, how?)

So to consider the minimum value of f we can consider a closed bounded interval [a,b] a,b in R

By the assumed theorem, f is bounded on this interval and attains its bounds, so there exists an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0) = inf f(x) in the interval [a,b]

By definition of an infimum we then know that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
HallsofIvy
Jan31-10, 09:59 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Quote Quote by Kate2010 View Post
Assume the theorem that a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds.
Prove that if f: R -> R is continuous and tends to +[tex]\infty[/tex] as x tends to +/- [tex]\infty[/tex] then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

2. Relevant equations

I think I understand the basic idea behind this but I'm not sure that my proof is rigorous enough.

R is not closed or bounded, however as x tends to +/- infinity f(x) tends to infinity, so won't affect its minimum value (do I need to prove this? If so, how?)

So to consider the minimum value of f we can consider a closed bounded interval [a,b] a,b in R

By the assumed theorem, f is bounded on this interval and attains its bounds, so there exists an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0) = inf f(x) in the interval [a,b]

By definition of an infimum we then know that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.
There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].
HallsofIvy
Jan31-10, 10:01 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Quote Quote by Kate2010 View Post

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea what you even mean by that!

There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].

Register to reply