Bounded Operators

by tommy01
Tags: bounded, operators
Share this thread:
tommy01
Feb10-10, 05:08 AM
P: 39
hi.

i'm reading "quantum mechanics in hilbert space" and a don't get a basic point for bounded operators.

def. 1 a set S in a normed space [tex]N[/tex] is bounded if there is a constant C such that [tex]\left\| f \right\| \leq C ~~~~~ \forall f \in S[/tex]

def. 2 a transformation is called bounded if it maps each bounded set into a bounded set.

and now comes the part i don't understand.

for linear operators [tex]T: N_1 \rightarrow N_2[/tex] def. 2 is equivalent to:
there exists a constant C such that [tex]\left\| T f \right\| \leq C \left\| f \right\| ~~~~~ \forall f \in N_1[/tex]

this is stated without a proof. i don't think it's obvious or at least not to me.

i'm thinking of a map, for example from the real numbers (normed space) to the real numbers, where the bounded set [tex]N_1=(0,1][/tex] is transformed in a way to another interval say [tex]N_2=(a,b][/tex] now the norm of elements from [tex]N_1[/tex] can get arbitrary small. So there can't exist a constant fulfilling [tex]\left\| T f \right\| \leq C \left\| f \right\| ~~~~~ \forall f \in N_1[/tex] when the norm of all elements of [tex]N_2[/tex] has a lower bound say [tex]m>0[/tex].

Or is such a map forbidden because of the continuity (zero has to be mapped on zero) and bounded linerar operators are continuous and vice verca?

i would be glad if someone can show me a proof or a source where a can get one.

thanks and greetings.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
CompuChip
Feb10-10, 06:20 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Clearly, the '<=' implication is true. For suppose that ||Tf|| <= C ||f||. Take N1 to be a bounded set. That means that for all f, ||f|| <= C' for some constant C'. So clearly, ||Tf|| <= C C' where the right hand side is again a constant.

As for the direct implication '=>' ... I didn't quite see it right away. How to connect the statement about bounded sets to a statement about any subset of S eludes me right now. If I think of something I will let you know :)
Fredrik
Feb10-10, 07:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,248
Suppose that T takes bounded sets to bounded sets. The set of all vectors of the form [tex]\frac{f}{\|f\|}[/tex] is bounded, so there must exist a C such that

[tex]\|T\frac{f}{\|f\|}\|\leq C[/tex]

This implies [itex]\|Tf\|\leq C\|f\|[/itex].

To prove the converse, suppose instead that there exists a C such that [itex]\|Tf\|\leq C\|f\|[/itex] for all f, and let B be a bounded set with bound M (i.e. [itex]\|g\|\leq M[/itex] for all g in B). We need to show that there exists an upper bound for the set of all [itex]\|Tg\|[/itex] with g in B.

[tex]\|Tg\|\leq C\|g\|\leq CM[/tex]

If you're also wondering why an operator is continuous if and only if it's bounded, the Wikipedia page titled "bounded operator" has a very nice proof of that.

tommy01
Feb10-10, 07:25 AM
P: 39
Bounded Operators

Great!

Many thanks to both of you.

Register to reply