A High School Senior's Review of "A Brief History of Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and its worthiness as a read for someone with an interest in physics. The general consensus is that Hawking's writing may not be the most enjoyable or informative for someone with a solid background in physics, but it is still a classic book worth having in one's library. It is recommended to start with books by George Gamow and Richard Feynman for a more enjoyable and comprehensive understanding of physics. The conversation also touches on the level of background knowledge needed to understand the concepts in the book, with high school physics and some cosmology being helpful, but not necessary.
DR13
Do you think that A Brief History of Time is a worthwhile read? I am a high school senior with an interest in physics

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't find The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking enlightening at all, so I doubt A Brief History of Time is any better. I didn't even finish the book because of its lack of real content. So I'm not impressed by Hawking's writing, as it is very superficial. His books are more for the general public than someone actually interested in physics. You would be much better off reading everything by George Gamow and Richard Feynman. They are much more interesting and fun to read than Hawking, plus their texts contain oodles of substance. I would start off with Gamow.

I also recommend Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov. This book requires no calculus and only high school math, but it contains a lot of interesting physics. It is very thick and comprehensive, so it will keep you busy. Gamow's books are fun because they are shorter. Plus, he writes so well that they are a quick read.

Just to give some more background I do know calculus (through multi variable) so I can handle a book that has some rigor to it. That being said, I do not want a book that is too dry or something that is more of a pain than enjoyment. Ill look into gamow and feynman.

Then you might give Feynman's lecture series a try if you're interested in physics. I've never read them, but it might be tough going at first if you don't know much physics. I really don't know though.

Either that or you can try out a vector calculus book to learn some very important math. I would recommend http://matrixeditions.com/UnifiedApproach4th.html" by John Hubbard. If you can make it through this book, you will be light years ahead of your fellow physics, math, or engineering majors if that's what you end up doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brief History of Time was one of my favourite books. Definitely worth it a read.

nicksauce said:
Brief History of Time was one of my favourite books. Definitely worth it a read.

+1. It's a book that everyone should have in his library. It has become a classic book not only for laymen but also for physicists.

I liked it, it taught me quite a lot, though I recommend a solid back ground studying physics. He gets serious fast, its starts simple enough, but I got lost in it near the end of it.

Rurounizakku said:
though I recommend a solid back ground studying physics. He gets serious fast, its starts simple enough, but I got lost in it near the end of it.

How solid of a background? Intro physics? More? I had always thought it was a book in laymen's terms...

DR13 said:
How solid of a background? Intro physics? More? I had always thought it was a book in laymen's terms...

Most likely high school physics would be a great help. Though with it was made to be readable in laymen's terms, its not that simple to understand. Especially if your looking to go into advanced topics. His arguments for things always make my head spin. Though you should also know some cosmology. The book is centered around a lot of their concepts.

You'll be able to read every single popular account of physics without any mathematical background & understand most of them.

I've read so many before & understood most of them well, a few did get crazy for a while but it's bearable. Keep in mind this at a time when I had forgotten even how to add fractions :p so it's possible without a background in phys & math.

Btw, get a BriefER History of Time. It's just an updated version.

1. What is "A Brief History of Time" about?

"A Brief History of Time" is a popular science book written by physicist Stephen Hawking. It discusses various topics in cosmology, including the origins of the universe, black holes, and the nature of time.

2. Is "A Brief History of Time" difficult to understand for a high school senior?

While "A Brief History of Time" covers complex topics, the book is written in a way that is accessible to a general audience. High school seniors with an interest in science should be able to follow along and grasp the key concepts.

3. What makes "A Brief History of Time" a significant book in the field of science?

"A Brief History of Time" was groundbreaking at the time of its publication in 1988 because it presented complex scientific concepts in a way that was easy for non-scientists to understand. It also became a bestseller and made Hawking a household name, bringing attention to the field of cosmology.

4. Are there any criticisms of "A Brief History of Time"?

One criticism of the book is that it oversimplifies certain scientific concepts and does not delve into some more recent developments in cosmology. Some scientists also argue that the book does not account for the role of philosophy and theology in understanding the universe.

5. Would you recommend "A Brief History of Time" to a high school senior?

Yes, I would recommend "A Brief History of Time" to a high school senior who is interested in science and cosmology. The book provides a fascinating and accessible overview of some of the most important concepts in the field and can serve as a great introduction to further study in the subject.