A Brief History of Time

by DR13
Tags: history, time
DR13
Feb22-10, 05:37 PM
P: 210
Do you think that A Brief History of Time is a worthwhile read? I am a high school senior with an interest in physics
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
n!kofeyn
Feb22-10, 11:02 PM
P: 538
I didn't find The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking enlightening at all, so I doubt A Brief History of Time is any better. I didn't even finish the book because of its lack of real content. So I'm not impressed by Hawking's writing, as it is very superficial. His books are more for the general public than someone actually interested in physics. You would be much better off reading everything by George Gamow and Richard Feynman. They are much more interesting and fun to read than Hawking, plus their texts contain oodles of substance. I would start off with Gamow.

I also recommend Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov. This book requires no calculus and only high school math, but it contains a lot of interesting physics. It is very thick and comprehensive, so it will keep you busy. Gamow's books are fun because they are shorter. Plus, he writes so well that they are a quick read.
DR13
Feb22-10, 11:07 PM
Just to give some more background I do know calculus (through multi variable) so I can handle a book that has some rigor to it. That being said, I do not want a book that is too dry or something that is more of a pain than enjoyment. Ill look into gamow and feynman.

n!kofeyn
Feb22-10, 11:24 PM
P: 538

A Brief History of Time

Then you might give Feynman's lecture series a try if you're interested in physics. I've never read them, but it might be tough going at first if you don't know much physics. I really don't know though.

Either that or you can try out a vector calculus book to learn some very important math. I would recommend Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach by John Hubbard. If you can make it through this book, you will be light years ahead of your fellow physics, math, or engineering majors if that's what you end up doing.
nicksauce
Feb23-10, 12:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,276
Brief History of Time was one of my favourite books. Definitely worth it a read.
dark_raider
Feb23-10, 02:38 AM
P: 49
Quote Quote by nicksauce View Post
Brief History of Time was one of my favourite books. Definitely worth it a read.
+1. It's a book that everyone should have in his library. It has become a classic book not only for laymen but also for physicists.
Rurounizakku
Mar13-10, 10:33 PM
P: 2
I liked it, it taught me quite a lot, though I recommend a solid back ground studying physics. He gets serious fast, its starts simple enough, but I got lost in it near the end of it.
DR13
Mar13-10, 10:38 PM
Quote Quote by Rurounizakku View Post
though I recommend a solid back ground studying physics. He gets serious fast, its starts simple enough, but I got lost in it near the end of it.
How solid of a background? Intro physics? More? I had always thought it was a book in laymen's terms...
Rurounizakku
Mar13-10, 10:44 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by DR13 View Post
How solid of a background? Intro physics? More? I had always thought it was a book in laymen's terms...
Most likely high school physics would be a great help. Though with it was made to be readable in laymen's terms, its not that simple to understand. Especially if your looking to go into advanced topics. His arguments for things always make my head spin. Though you should also know some cosmology. The book is centered around a lot of their concepts.
sponsoredwalk
Mar15-10, 06:35 PM
P: 530
You'll be able to read every single popular account of physics without any mathematical background & understand most of them.

I've read so many before & understood most of them well, a few did get crazy for a while but it's bearable. Keep in mind this at a time when I had forgotten even how to add fractions :p so it's possible without a background in phys & math.

Btw, get a BriefER History of Time. It's just an updated version.

Register to reply