Finding speed of an object when it hits the ground, after free fall.

by austin944
Tags: fall, free, ground, hits, object, speed
austin944
Feb28-10, 05:32 PM
P: 3
Suppose a 136 kg manhole cover is launched 50 feet in the air. What is the speed of the manhole cover when it hits the ground on its descent, in m/s and mph?

I converted 50 feet to 15.24 meters, but I do not know what equation to use here. I understand that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. I just don't know how to find the speed when I am only given acceleration due to gravity and distance/height.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
shallgren
Feb28-10, 05:57 PM
P: 45
You can use distance and gravity to find out how long it takes the manhole cover to hit the ground, and then use another equation to turn time and distance into velocity.
austin944
Feb28-10, 06:08 PM
I'd pretty much already determined that, but you've still not gotten me any closer to solving the problem. What equation do you suggest I use for finding time, if that's even what I need to do in this problem?

shallgren
Feb28-10, 06:20 PM
P: 45

Finding speed of an object when it hits the ground, after free fall.

Actually, I was wrong you don't need time at all:

[tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/tex]

and, of course, vi will be 0.
austin944
Feb28-10, 06:48 PM
Actually, you were right; I did need time. It's the equation t = Square root of (2y/g). I just plugged in 15.24 meters for y, the height, to solve for t. After solving for t, I used the equation, vf = initial velocity + (a)(t) to solve for final velocity. Thanks for the help.

Register to reply