Finding speed of an object when it hits the ground, after free fall.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a manhole cover when it hits the ground after being launched 50 feet in the air. The equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad is suggested, using the given distance of 15.24 meters and acceleration due to gravity of 9.8m/s^2. The equation for time, t = Square root of (2y/g), is also mentioned, and the final velocity is calculated using vf = initial velocity + (a)(t).
austin944
Suppose a 136 kg manhole cover is launched 50 feet in the air. What is the speed of the manhole cover when it hits the ground on its descent, in m/s and mph?

I converted 50 feet to 15.24 meters, but I do not know what equation to use here. I understand that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. I just don't know how to find the speed when I am only given acceleration due to gravity and distance/height.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use distance and gravity to find out how long it takes the manhole cover to hit the ground, and then use another equation to turn time and distance into velocity.

I'd pretty much already determined that, but you've still not gotten me any closer to solving the problem. What equation do you suggest I use for finding time, if that's even what I need to do in this problem?

Actually, I was wrong you don't need time at all:

[tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/tex]

and, of course, vi will be 0.

Actually, you were right; I did need time. It's the equation t = Square root of (2y/g). I just plugged in 15.24 meters for y, the height, to solve for t. After solving for t, I used the equation, vf = initial velocity + (a)(t) to solve for final velocity. Thanks for the help.

1. How do you calculate the speed of an object after free fall?

The speed of an object after free fall can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

2. Can the speed of an object after free fall be negative?

Yes, the speed of an object after free fall can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force. This is known as deceleration or negative acceleration.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its speed after free fall?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its speed after free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate due to the acceleration of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the speed of an object after free fall?

Air resistance can significantly affect the speed of an object after free fall. As the object falls, air resistance will increase and eventually balance out with the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a terminal velocity and stop accelerating.

5. Can the speed of an object after free fall be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, if the object is thrown or dropped from a height, its final speed after free fall can be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the object will continue to accelerate due to the force of gravity until it reaches its terminal velocity.