Solve Physics Free Fall Question: Height of Building

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where a person falls from a building and the height of the building needs to be determined based on the distance fallen in the last second of the fall. Various equations and methods are suggested to solve the problem, including using the basic constant acceleration equations and solving a quadratic equation. The final solution involves finding the time it takes to fall and using it to calculate the height of the building.
Corneo
I'm really bad at physics so please excuse me. But I would like some help on this question. I would like to be able to solve it without plugging in any numbers until the end.

If a person steps off a building of height h, and free falls on the way down to the bottom. What is the height of the building if he falls a distance of h/4 in his last 1 second of fall.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between distance fallen and time for a falling object?

Is it[tex]t=\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0}[/tex]?

Then all I have to solve is
[tex]\frac {h}{4} = \frac {1}{2}g \left(\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0} - 1 \right)^2 + v_0 \left(\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0}-1 \right)+h[/tex]

Where [tex]v_0=0, \Delta x = \frac {3h}{4}[/tex]. Am I correct?

Your basic problem is:

[tex] x(t) = - \frac {g t^2} 2 + V_0 t + X_0 [/tex]

[tex] V_0 =0 [/tex]
[tex] X_0 =h [/tex]

so you get an equation of motion as:
[tex] x(t) = - \frac {g t^2} 2 + h [/tex]

Solve for t when x=0, this will give you an expression, call it T, for the time of the fall in terms of g and h. Now you know that

[tex] x(T-1) = \frac h 4 [/tex]

use this in your equation of motion to find h.

Oh I see, ok thanks a lot.

Alternatively you can use the four basic constant acceleration equations in a simultaneous equation i think.

You could also solve this way:

let t = time it takes to fall.

since x = .5gt^2 (one of the general motion equations)

h = .5g(t^2)

.75h = .5g(t - 1)^2 (since time will be t-1 when it has fallen .75h)

just subtract one equation from another to get .25h = .5(t^2) - .5(t - 1)^2...and simplify to further get...

... h/4 = 2g(2t - 1)...multiply by 4 to get:

h = 2g(2t - 1)...and set this back equal to:

.5g(t^2) = 2g(2t - 1)...this ends up becoming t^2 - 8t + 4 = 0...and then solve for t with the quadratic. Now that you know t, you can easily find h.

1. What is free fall in physics?

Free fall is a term used in physics to describe the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity. In this scenario, the object is not being affected by any other forces, such as air resistance.

2. How is the height of a building calculated using free fall physics?

The height of a building can be calculated using the equation h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object takes to fall. This equation assumes that the object is dropped from rest and there is no air resistance.

3. Can the height of a building be calculated accurately using free fall physics?

No, the height of a building cannot be calculated accurately using free fall physics alone. This is because air resistance and other external factors can affect the time it takes for an object to fall, making the calculated height slightly different from the actual height of the building.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of a building's height using free fall physics?

Air resistance can slow down the object's fall, resulting in a longer time and a shorter distance traveled. This can lead to an underestimation of the building's height. To account for air resistance, more complex equations and measurements would need to be used.

5. Are there any real-life applications of free fall physics?

Yes, free fall physics is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the maximum height of a roller coaster drop, determining the time it takes for a skydiver to reach the ground, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile like a baseball or a bullet.