How Do You Use Matrix Inversion to Determine Nutrient Ratios in Food?

In summary, a nutritionist is studying the effects of folic acid, choline, and inositol in three types of food. The inverse of the matrix is found and used to solve the remaining parts of the problem with the help of a calculator. The first part asks for the amount of each food needed to supply a specific amount of nutrients, while the second part asks for the amount of each food needed to supply a different set of nutrients. The third part asks if there is any combination of these foods that can supply a specific amount of nutrients.
uselessjack

Homework Statement

A nutritionist is studying the effects of the nutrients folic acid, choline, and inositol. He has three types of food available, and each type contains the following amounts of these nutrients per ounce:

70qfV.png
a) Find the inverse of the matrix

4erZX.png

and use it to solve the remaining parts of this problem. A calculator may be used.
1) How many ounces of each food should the nutritionist feed his laboratory rats if he wants their daily diet to contain 23 mg of folic acid, 28 mg of choline, and 27 mg of inositol?

2) How much of each food is needed to supply 20 mg of folic acid, 24 mg of choline, and 21 mg of inositol?

3) Will any combination of these foods supply 6 mg of folic acid, 8 mg of choline, and 13 mg of inositol?

Homework Equations

A * A^-1 = Identity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only been able to yield the inverse of the matrix:

0 1 -1
-3 5/2 0
2 -5/2 1I do not know how to approach the rest of the problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a, you want to solve the matrix equation Ax = y
[tex]\left[ \begin{array} {c c c } 5 & 3 & 5 \\ 6 & 4 & 6 \\ 5 & 4 & 6 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{c}23\\28\\27\end{array} \right][/tex]

Using your inverse, A-1, can you figure out how to solve for the vector x?

For b, similar setup, but the vector on the right uses the three values of this part of the problem.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
For a, you want to solve the matrix equation Ax = y
[tex]\left[ \begin{array} {c c c } 5 & 3 & 5 \\ 6 & 4 & 6 \\ 5 & 4 & 6 \end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{c}23\\28\\27\end{array} \right][/tex]

Using your inverse, A-1, can you figure out how to solve for the vector x?

For b, similar setup, but the vector on the right uses the three values of this part of the problem.

Thank you very much, but I'm not sure I understand.

Would I solve for x by setting up the equation "5x + 3y + 5z = 23" and solving?

No. In the matrix equation I showed, the 3 x 3 matrix is A, the column vector in the middle represents the amounts of foods A, B, and C, and the column vector on the right represents the desired amounts of folic acid, choline, and inisotol.

If A is an invertible matrix, then the equation Ax = y can be solved by multiplying the left and right sides by A-1.

Ax = y
==> A-1Ax = A-1y

Why do you think they asked you to find the inverse?

Ah, I see now! Thank you very much for your time and help. I was finally able to find the answers!

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent data or to solve systems of equations.

How do I add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, the matrices must have the same dimensions. Simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the resulting matrix.

What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When a matrix is multiplied by the identity matrix, it remains unchanged.

How do I multiply matrices?

To multiply matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, multiply each element in the first row of the first matrix by each element in the first column of the second matrix and add the products. This will give you the first element in the resulting matrix. Continue this process for each element in the resulting matrix.

How can I use matrices in precalculus?

Matrices are often used in precalculus to solve systems of equations, find inverses of functions, and perform transformations on geometric figures. They can also be used to represent and manipulate data in various ways.