Register to reply

Integral Involving Trigonometric Functions with Varying Arguments

Share this thread:
Joshk80k
Mar14-10, 11:51 PM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm in an Intermediate Mechanics course right now, and while the Physics itself isn't giving me too much trouble, I am lagging behind in the Math department. I am trying to solve the integral:

[tex]\int cos(\omega t) sin(\omega t - \delta) dt[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]sin(A-B) = sin(A)cos(B) - sin(B)cos(A)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I recognized is that the trig functions had the same argument, plus a value, so I figured I could apply the above equation to the integral. However, that really just made things look more complicated.

[tex]\int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\delta) -sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt[/tex]

I stared at this for a while, but I couldn't find any substitutions (Which is what I was expecting.) I then thought that maybe I should try an integral table, to see if this was listed somewhere, but I couldn't find any functions that might have made sense. The added value in the argument of the "Sin" function is what's tripping me up.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
ideasrule
Mar15-10, 12:03 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,322
sin(wt)cos(wt) is easy enough to integrate; just use u=sin(wt). For cos^2(wt), the standard way of integrating this is to use the identity cos(2x)=2cos^2(x) - 1.
gabbagabbahey
Mar15-10, 12:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 5,003
Quote Quote by Joshk80k View Post
The first thing I recognized is that the trig functions had the same argument, plus a value, so I figured I could apply the above equation to the integral. However, that really just made things look more complicated.

[tex]\int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\delta) -sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt[/tex]

I stared at this for a while, but I couldn't find any substitutions (Which is what I was expecting.) I then thought that maybe I should try an integral table, to see if this was listed somewhere, but I couldn't find any functions that might have made sense. The added value in the argument of the "Sin" function is what's tripping me up.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?
Looks good so far, now just split the integral into two and pull the constants out front:

[tex]\int \left[\cos(\omega t)\sin(\omega t)\cos(\delta) -\sin(\delta)\cos^2(\omega t)\right]dt= \cos(\delta)\int\sin(\omega t)\cos(\omega t)dt-\sin\delta\int\cos^2(\omega t)dt[/tex]

The first integral can be easily done by substituting [itex]u=\sin(\omega t)[/itex] the second integral can be evaluated by using another trigonometric identity, [itex]\cos^2(x)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\cos(2x)+1\right)[/itex]

Joshk80k
Mar15-10, 12:09 AM
Integral Involving Trigonometric Functions with Varying Arguments

So I am able to rewrite

[tex] \int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\\delta) -sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt [/tex]

as

[tex] \int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\\delta)dt - \int sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt [/tex]

?

I guess that does make it really easy - thanks =)
Joshk80k
Mar15-10, 12:10 AM
Sorry for the redundant information - I posted at nearly the same time as you did.

Thanks very much for your help =).
gabbagabbahey
Mar15-10, 12:11 AM
HW Helper
P: 5,003
Quote Quote by Joshk80k View Post
So I am able to rewrite

[tex] \int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\\delta) -sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt [/tex]

as

[tex] \int cos(\omega t)sin(\omega t)cos(\\delta)dt - \int sin(\delta)cos^2(\omega t) dt [/tex]

?

I guess that does make it really easy - thanks =)
Sure, one of the fundamental rules of calculus is that [itex]\int\left[f(x)+g(x)\right]dx=\int f(x)dx+\int g(x)dx[/itex].

Register to reply