How to Split a Long Equation with Square Roots for Multi-Line Latex Formatting?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter amygoogs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation focuses on splitting up a long equation with complicated square roots. The suggestion is to use intermediary symbols for the radicand and place it on a separate line, or to create parameters to simplify the square roots. The alternative of using (big mess)1/2 instead of sqrt{big mess} is also suggested.
amygoogs
I have a long equation with square roots that need to be continued on the next line. Can you tell me how to split it up but continue the square root on the next line:

\begin{equation}
betaone=\dfrac{-2a(betaminusbeta)}{\alpha}-\frac{8a(betaminusbeta)^2}{3\alpha^2} \sqrt[3]{\tfrac{1}{2}\left[\frac{27\alpha^3}{32(betaminusbeta)^2} \left( \frac{1}{betaminusbeta} - \frac{1}{a}ccc \right) \right] + \sqrt{\left(\frac{9\alpha^2}{16(betaminusbeta)^2} \right)^2 -4\left(\frac{9\alpha^2}{3}^2-3ac \right)^3} }
\end{equation}

ccc and betaminusbeta are expressions that I've specified up in the header, I took them out so it'd be easier for you guys to comment on this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using an intermediary symbol for the radicand and placing it on a separate line.

[tex] a = \sqrt[3]{R}[/tex]
where
[tex] R = \cdots[/tex]

Readers are *not* going to get what you are trying to say with a "continued square root".

So, what to do instead?
1. Create some parameters that capture the bulk of the mess. Make you sqrts simple.
2. If you absolutely must, use (big mess)1/2 instead of sqrt{big mess}.

1. What is "Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt"?

Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt is a type of mathematical notation used in Latex, a typesetting system commonly used for scientific and mathematical documents. It allows for the representation of multiple lines of equations with a square root symbol.

2. How do I create a Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt in my document?

To create a Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt, you will need to use the "align" environment and include the "sqrt" command within each line of the equation. For example:
\begin{align} \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \end{align}

3. Can I use Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt in a single line equation?

Yes, you can use Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt in a single line equation by enclosing the equation in the "align" environment. For example:
\begin{align} \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \end{align}

4. How can I align multiple lines of equations with a sqrt symbol?

To align multiple lines of equations with a sqrt symbol, you can use the "align" environment and include the "&" symbol to indicate the alignment point. For example:
\begin{align} \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} &= c \\ \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} &= z \end{align}

5. Are there any other types of mathematical notation that can be used for multi-line equations?

Yes, there are other types of mathematical notation that can be used for multi-line equations, such as the "eqnarray" environment and the "align*" environment. However, the "align" environment is the recommended method for creating Latex Multi-Line with a sqrt.