Register to reply

A hideous Linear Regression/confidence set question

by Phillips101
Tags: hideous, linear
Share this thread:
Phillips101
Apr1-10, 08:21 AM
P: 33
Take the linear model Y=X*beta+e, where e~Nn(0, sigma^2 * I), and it has MLE beta.hat

First, find the distribution of (beta.hat-beta)' * X'*X * (beta.hat-beta), where t' is t transpose. I think I've done this. I think it's a sigma^2 chi-squared (n-p) distribution.

Next, Hence find a (1-a)-level confidence set for beta based on a root with an F distribution. I can't do this to save my life. I'm aware that an F distribution is the ratio of two chi-squareds, but where the hell I'm going to get another chi squared from I have no idea. Also, we're dealing in -vectors- and I don't know how,what,why any confidence set is going to be or even look like, and I've no idea how to even try to get one.

-Any- help would be appreciated. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
statdad
Apr2-10, 07:08 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,362
Notice that

[tex]
\frac{\hat{\beta}' X'X \hat{\beta}}{\sigma^2}
[/tex]

has a [tex] \Chi^2 [/tex] distribution. however, the variance is unknown, so you need to estimate it (with another expression from the regression). What would you use for the estimate, and what is its distribution?
Phillips101
Apr3-10, 05:43 AM
Use the MLE sigma2.hat=(1/n)*||Y-Xbeta.hat||^2 ? This is distributed as a chi-squared n-1 variable if I remember correctly...

Phillips101
Apr3-10, 05:45 AM
A hideous Linear Regression/confidence set question

If that's correct, then the thing you posted is distributed as an F distribution, which is what I need? And would swapping beta.hat for beta.hat-beta make any difference to this?

Register to reply