Register to reply

Fundemental disadvantages of traditional rockets

Share this thread:
aquitaine
Apr24-10, 05:38 AM
P: 200
What are the fundemental disadvantages to traditional rocket designs, such as the Ares (1 and 5), Saturn 5, Delta series, etc?

So far I've come up with incompatibilities with existing airport infrastructure and a partial or total lack of reusibility (what parts are reusable need to be fished out of the ocean).

Especially in comparison to something like the skylon or some other advanced spaceplane, can anyone think of other disadvantages, or just disadvantages in general? I'm not very knowledgable in this subject. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
RandomGuy88
Apr24-10, 12:32 PM
P: 365
Rockets require a tremendous amount of fuel.
Cyrus
Apr24-10, 10:12 PM
P: 4,777
Rockets like to explode. Exploding very expensive payload is bad.

aquitaine
Apr25-10, 06:05 AM
Fundemental disadvantages of traditional rockets

So they are fundementally unsafe?
Cyrus
Apr25-10, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't say that. Is anything 'safe'? A car isn't. It's a matter of reliability, i.e., how does it's statistics of successful to unsuccessful launches compare (I think it's pretty low).
russ_watters
Apr26-10, 11:55 PM
Mentor
P: 22,312
Quote Quote by aquitaine View Post
What are the fundemental disadvantages to traditional rocket designs, such as the Ares (1 and 5), Saturn 5, Delta series, etc?

So far I've come up with incompatibilities with existing airport infrastructure and a partial or total lack of reusibility (what parts are reusable need to be fished out of the ocean).
Disadvantages compared to what and for what purpose? Why is incompatibility with airports relevant? Rockets aren't airplanes.
Especially in comparison to something like the skylon or some other advanced spaceplane, can anyone think of other disadvantages, or just disadvantages in general?
Well spaceplanes in the traditional sense don't exist, so I'm not sure that is a reasonable basis for comparison either.
aquitaine
Apr27-10, 02:03 AM
Disadvantages compared to what and for what purpose? Why is incompatibility with airports relevant? Rockets aren't airplanes.
True, but for space travel to become more common, having launch systems that are mostly compatible with existing infrastructure would be very helpful.

Well spaceplanes in the traditional sense don't exist, so I'm not sure that is a reasonable basis for comparison either.
With the current development of the SABRE engine that might finally change in the next 10 years. Right now it's more of a thought experiment (yet another one of my infamous thought experiments :P).
Cyrus
Apr27-10, 02:57 AM
Why should space travel be more common, where do you plan on going?
aquitaine
Apr27-10, 07:07 AM
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Why should space travel be more common, where do you plan on going?

Any number of reasons. One immediate thing I can think of is the ability to go into orbit to drasticly cut travel times on long distance flights. Unless you're ok with 14+ hour flights across the Pacific. And really, who is to say there aren't plenty of opportunities for economic expansion? Why can't we use the natural vacuum of space (or the moon for that matter) to fabricate materials that would be so easily done on Earth? What about R&D? Somehow, sometime, somewhere, an entrepreneur will see an opportunity and make a fortune out of it. It's happened in other endevours and it will happen again in space.
Wetmelon
Apr27-10, 10:24 PM
P: 154
Quote Quote by aquitaine View Post
Any number of reasons. One immediate thing I can think of is the ability to go into orbit to drasticly cut travel times on long distance flights. Unless you're ok with 14+ hour flights across the Pacific. And really, who is to say there aren't plenty of opportunities for economic expansion? Why can't we use the natural vacuum of space (or the moon for that matter) to fabricate materials that would be so easily done on Earth? What about R&D? Somehow, sometime, somewhere, an entrepreneur will see an opportunity and make a fortune out of it. It's happened in other endevours and it will happen again in space.
Eventually. But I agree.

Register to reply