Negative pressure in a cylinder.

In summary: The equation p1 v1=p2v2 can be used to solve for the pressure behind the cylinder, assuming you have two pressures (p1,p2) and two volumes (v1,v2).
willloomy
hey everybody, I need to figure out a few things about calculating the pressure inside a vacuum

Basicly I have a tube and one side of the tube is capped and air tight and the other side is open to the air. In the tube there is an air tight piston like stopper that is pulled through the tube towards open end of the tube, creating a vacuum on the opposite side of the piston.

I need to figure out how much force is needed to pull the piston various distances in the tube.
I have a 1 inch inner diameter tube right now but I would like to be able to test different sized tubes.
hope that wasn't to confusing, hope this picture helps.

vacuumgun.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
A negative pressure would be a negative differential pressure or a gage pressure with respect to an ambient atmosphere.

I get that but i still need to know how to figure out what the pressure in the tube is.
I thought I should say that the piston is starts a few inches away from the closed end of the tube and the pressure is equal to the outside pressure.

suppose the piston is 3 inches away from the sealed end of the tube would the pressure decrease by half every 3 inches the piston is pulled towards the front

Last edited:
Write what pressures you have on either side of the piston.

Hint 1: Look at what you wrote on the extreme right of your drawing.
Hint 2: There must be a pressure on the left hand side for volume to matter.

Working out the force required is a very simple matter from first principles of pressure and force.

i understand that negative pressure is really just the difference in pressures and correct me if i am wrong,but to figure out how much force I need to pull the piston i use
the difference in pressure (Pa) multiplied by the area of the piston (m2)

let's say they are both at 101325 pa to begin with, the area of the piston is 0.0125 m2 and there is 50 mm of tube between the piston and the tight cap. I want to know what happens when the piston is pulled towards the open end decreasing the pressure. i want to know how to figure out what the pressure inside the tube is when i pull the piston.

You've answered your original question at the end of the 1st paragraph.

To find the pressure behind the cylinder you need something realating pressure and volume of a gas in a closed space. (ie boyles law)

xxChrisxx said:
You've answered your original question at the end of the 1st paragraph.

hahah yeah I did some research and ran some equations and figured it out.

so would the equation p1 v1=p2v2 be used to solve this?

Last edited:

What is negative pressure in a cylinder?

Negative pressure in a cylinder refers to a situation where the pressure inside the cylinder is less than the atmospheric pressure outside. This can be achieved by reducing the amount of gas or fluid inside the cylinder, or by increasing the volume of the cylinder.

How is negative pressure measured in a cylinder?

Negative pressure in a cylinder can be measured using a pressure gauge or an electronic pressure sensor. The reading will be in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

What are the potential causes of negative pressure in a cylinder?

Negative pressure in a cylinder can be caused by a variety of factors, including a leak in the cylinder, a reduction in temperature, or a decrease in the amount of gas or fluid inside the cylinder.

What are the effects of negative pressure in a cylinder?

The effects of negative pressure in a cylinder can vary depending on the specific situation. In general, it can result in a decrease in the volume or pressure of the gas or fluid inside the cylinder, and may also cause the cylinder to collapse or implode if the pressure difference is too great.

How can negative pressure in a cylinder be managed or controlled?

To manage or control negative pressure in a cylinder, it is important to identify the cause and address it accordingly. This may involve repairing any leaks, adjusting the temperature, or regulating the amount of gas or fluid inside the cylinder. In some cases, a relief valve may also be used to release excess pressure and prevent negative pressure from occurring.