Register to reply

S vs P polarization

by geo_alchemist
Tags: polarization
Share this thread:
geo_alchemist
Apr29-10, 03:20 PM
P: 35
Let us imagine a surface, with X and Y axes on it and Z axis normal to it.
well, the theory, (in my particular case, some article) says that S polarized light, propagating along the x-directioin possesses only electric field components, Ei, paralel to the surface (||y-direction), i.e. transversal electric waves have Ei=(0, Ey, 0), while P-polarized light has Ei=(Ex, 0, Ez).

The question:

I understand that S-polarized light, propagating along x-direction has only electric field components, Ei, paralel to the surface. Ei=(0, Ey, 0), since in case of s-polarization E is perpendicular to plane of incidence.

Also I understand that P-polarized light, propagating in the same x-direction has Ez component, since in case of P-polarization E is in the plane of incidence.

what I do not understand is, why p-polarized light has Ex component.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Andy Resnick
Apr29-10, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,523
A picture is worth 1000 words:

http://jolisfukyu.tokai-sc.jaea.go.j...5IMG/05_11.jpg

Does this help? Otherwise, please refer to the diagram and tell me which directions you are calling x,y, and z.
geo_alchemist
Apr29-10, 04:10 PM
It seems that I understand bt it still is a bit foggy for me. Any further clarification would be greatfully appreciated.
Here is modified image with x, y and z.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Andy Resnick
Apr30-10, 08:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,523
S vs P polarization

Do you see the essential difference between s- and p- polarization? It's not the (x,y,z) components per se, it's whether or not the electric field is in the plane of incidence.
geo_alchemist
Apr30-10, 11:19 AM
Essential difference I see perfectly. what I need is to describe this difference in terms of Ex, Ey and Ez.

Anyway, now I understand it, thanks for picture ;)

Register to reply