by Jamin2112
Tags: decrement, logarithmic
Share this thread:
Jamin2112
May2-10, 11:11 PM
P: 909
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically, I have LQ''(t) + RQ'(t) + (1/C)Q(t)=0, and I'm supposed to

"Show that the ration of the charge Q between two successive maxima is given by exp(RTd/2L), where Td is the time between two successive maxima. The natural logarithm of this ration is called the logarithmic decrement.

2. Relevant equations

Dunno

3. The attempt at a solution

So I got a solution Q(t)=e(-Rt)/(2L) [ C1cos( (√(R2-4L/C) )/(2L)t) + C2sin( (√(R2-4L/C) )/(2L)t).

But I can't figure out how to find Td. I mean, I could always find t when dQ/dt=0; but then I'd have to plug two values of t back into Q(t) and find the difference, and ............ So what's the right way to do this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
lanedance
May2-10, 11:49 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,307
First notice the sin & cos terms have the same argument & the choice of c1 & c2 will just choose an overall phase. So for this argument set c2 = 0.

Then the maxima will just be where cos is maximum and successive maxima will occur where the argument of cos has changed by 2pi
LCKurtz
May3-10, 12:01 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,583
Quote Quote by lanedance View Post
First notice the sin & cos terms have the same argument & the choice of c1 & c2 will just choose an overall phase. So for this argument set c2 = 0.

Then the maxima will just be where cos is maximum and successive maxima will occur where the argument of cos has changed by 2pi
Not exactly. The max's don't agree with the max's of the cosine, but the right idea. To the OP, just look at e-btcos(at+c).

lanedance
May3-10, 12:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,307
Logarithmic decrement

good pickup thanks - They will be pretty close when the natural frequency is much larger that the decay constant, but you do need to take the exponential into account

Register to reply