Solving for Logarithmic Decrement in LCR Circuits

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio of charge between two successive maxima in a circuit, with an equation given as LQ''(t) + RQ'(t) + (1/C)Q(t)=0. The solution involves finding the time between two successive maxima, known as Td, and using the natural logarithm of the ratio of charge to find the logarithmic decrement. By setting c2=0, the maxima can be found where the argument of the cosine function changes by 2pi. However, it is important to take the exponential term into account as well.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Basically, I have LQ''(t) + RQ'(t) + (1/C)Q(t)=0, and I'm supposed to

"Show that the ration of the charge Q between two successive maxima is given by exp(RTd/2L), where Td is the time between two successive maxima. The natural logarithm of this ration is called the logarithmic decrement.

Homework Equations

Dunno

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got a solution Q(t)=e(-Rt)/(2L) [ C1cos( (√(R2-4L/C) )/(2L)t) + C2sin( (√(R2-4L/C) )/(2L)t).

But I can't figure out how to find Td. I mean, I could always find t when dQ/dt=0; but then I'd have to plug two values of t back into Q(t) and find the difference, and ... So what's the right way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First notice the sin & cos terms have the same argument & the choice of c1 & c2 will just choose an overall phase. So for this argument set c2 = 0.

Then the maxima will just be where cos is maximum and successive maxima will occur where the argument of cos has changed by 2pi

lanedance said:
First notice the sin & cos terms have the same argument & the choice of c1 & c2 will just choose an overall phase. So for this argument set c2 = 0.

Then the maxima will just be where cos is maximum and successive maxima will occur where the argument of cos has changed by 2pi

Not exactly. The max's don't agree with the max's of the cosine, but the right idea. To the OP, just look at e-btcos(at+c).

good pickup thanks - They will be pretty close when the natural frequency is much larger that the decay constant, but you do need to take the exponential into account

Last edited:

1. What is logarithmic decrement in an LCR circuit?

Logarithmic decrement is a measure of the rate at which the amplitude of an oscillating LCR circuit decreases over time. It is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of two successive amplitudes.

2. How is logarithmic decrement used in LCR circuit analysis?

Logarithmic decrement can be used to determine the damping coefficient and the quality factor of an LCR circuit. It is also useful in calculating the resonant frequency and bandwidth of the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between logarithmic decrement and damping in an LCR circuit?

The logarithmic decrement is directly proportional to the damping coefficient of the LCR circuit. A higher damping coefficient results in a larger logarithmic decrement and a faster decrease in amplitude.

4. How do you calculate logarithmic decrement in an LCR circuit?

To calculate the logarithmic decrement, you need to measure the amplitudes of two successive peaks in the oscillating waveform. Then, take the natural logarithm of the ratio of these two amplitudes. The formula for logarithmic decrement is ln(An/An+1).

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of logarithmic decrement calculations in LCR circuits?

The accuracy of logarithmic decrement calculations can be affected by factors such as external noise, variations in component values, and the frequency of the input signal. It is important to minimize these factors to obtain more precise results.