Register to reply

(C++) Not sure what the problem wants me to do.

by cpponyou
Tags: None
Share this thread:
cpponyou
May10-10, 03:24 AM
P: 1
I have this HW problem, but I cannot figure out what it wants me to do. I don't want anyone to solve it for me, just point me in the right direction.

Suppose that a class hierarchy has a virtual method print
class C {
virtual void print( ostream& ) const;
};
that outputs C's members to the stream ostream. Write one overload of << so that the statement

out << p;
outputs p's members to the stream out, where p is any object that belongs to a class in the hierarchy.

What I don't understand is the out << p bit. Am I supposed to be able to do

out << p;
in my main() and have the overload call p.print() ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
D H
May10-10, 04:11 AM
Mentor
P: 15,166
That is exactly what you are supposed to do.

You should probably make your overloaded function obey the semantics of the << operator as used with streams so that given two such objects p and q the following works:
out << "Members of p:\n" << p << "\nMembers of q:\n" << q;
CompuChip
May10-10, 04:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Indeed. So they want you to override operator<<

Register to reply