Register to reply

Difference between electronic and digital

by jackson6612
Tags: difference, digital, electronic
Share this thread:
jackson6612
Jun18-10, 04:49 PM
P: 348
I have seen most people say electronic dictionary, diary etc. I often confuses the terms. Since long time I have referred to my handheld Franklin dictionary as digital dictionary. Am I wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
berkeman
Jun18-10, 05:03 PM
Mentor
P: 40,715
Quote Quote by jackson6612 View Post
I have seen most people say electronic dictionary, diary etc. I often confuses the terms. Since long time I have referred to my handheld Franklin dictionary as digital dictionary. Am I wrong?
Everybody is right in this case.

Your Franklin uses digital electronic circuitry. Digital and analog are the traditional two areas of electronics. Analog electronics deals with continuous waveforms, like for radio and TV circuits. However, many analog functions have been replaced with digital equivalents, for reasons of performance and cost.

For the most part, the circuitry in a computer or a Franklin is digital, with only a little bit of supporting analog circuitry (like in the power supply).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_electronics

ThomasEdison
Jun19-10, 07:58 PM
P: 107
Lately where I see analog electronics the most are in sensors. This is because of the variablility of voltage amplitudes you get when sensing something using a transducer which produces electric signals from heat or pressure or light any number of effects to monitor.

A transducer is a term I rarely see mentioned anymore. It means a device to turn one form of energy into another. This happens in a lot in sensors. For example a photocell to detect light by turning it into an electronic signal.

Register to reply