Troubleshooting a 2 Stroke Engine: Tips for Starting and Fixing Common Problems

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the author is attempting to start a small two-stroke engine that won't start. He has replaced the spark plug, seals on the carburetta connection, and made new seals on the connection to the block. He has also tried starting fluid and ruled out spark problems. He is still unsure of the timing. He plans to take the engine apart again tomorrow and test for compression.
Jones1987
So I'm back home from uni for afew days during summer. My dad has a little bike 2 stroke engine that won't start, so he has given me the job of attempting to get the little thing to start.

The spark plug works. I've taken off the top of the engine block and fitted a fresh seal ontop of the cylinder head. I've made new seals on the connection to the carberetta. I intially thought there was a compression problem. However the engine will still not start.

Any tips where else I should be looking

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried starting fluid to see if you can at least get it to turn over? If it runs momentarily on the starting fluid, you can rule out spark problems.

Have you tested for compression? Is the spark timing approximately correct? If both of these are okay you pretty much have a fuel issue. Is the plug getting wet?

How long has the engine been sitting idle? Gasoline (at least in the US) with ethanol seems to degrade more rapidly than the straight gasoline available in the past. I put fuel stabilizer in every can of gasoline or diesel that I buy, and that seems to help. My 2-stokes include leaf blower, weed-whacker, small tiller, and chain saw, and they all start up fine and run well. That was not the case before I got "religious" with the fuel stabilizer. It can get pretty tedious to yank on a starter cord for any length of time.

I'm not too sure exactly how long the engine has been idle. Nothing is rusted for seized. I get a pressure build up when I pit my thumb over the spark plug hole and kick start the engine. I have no idea if the timing is correct. How would I test this?

I havnt tested if the plug is wet however this will be my first job in morn. I will be taking it apart again tomorrow and testing.

When I kick start, sometimes it does give out a small bang asif there is ignition but the engine does not tick.

So if it's a compression issue, what are my next steps?

Timing issue, I'm not exactly sure how I can correct this as to my knowledge this requires
software to change

Try starter fluid. Report back. :grumpy:

i been here before..

remove the air filter and check to see if it is clean or clogged..leave off until you get the engine to fire..there is only three things that can go wrong on and engine that has been running..
lack of spark
lack of gas or lack of spark at the proper time...you got spark so squirt some starter fluid in the spark plug hole , replace the spark plug and see if it fires..if it does, chances are the timing is ok so now we have a fuel problem..most likely the line or filter is clogged
if the carb is a float bowl type
the needle and seat may be gummed up not permitting fuel to enter the float bowl..hence no fuel can enter the carb throttle body...if the carb is a diaphram type.. you may have a cracked or broke membrain and again not fuel will enter where it needs too..lets address the simple stuff firts

drain the gas tank by removing the fuel line from where it connects to the carb and place the line in a catch can to collect the fuel. open the petcock under the tank to permit fuel flow...if you got flow thur the filter to the catch can this is a good sign..if it drips out, the filter may be clogged or the little wire mesh filter at the petcock may be gummed up..

se air hose to blow the fuel line to the empty fuel tank before refilling with fresh fuel..
if possible drain the carb and fuel filter..if you have a float bowl carb it should have a drain screw..use it to empty the bowl..if no fuel is present when the drain screw is removed complete the fuel tank fuel filter cleaning described above and replace the fuel i nthe tank..make sure you got a steady fuel stream tot the catch can after the new fuel is added.
close the fuel petcock and reconnect the fuel line to the carb
remember the fuel bowl drain screw is still removed..open the petcock and the fuel should run out of the carb bowl drain hole..if not..you probably have a stuck needle and seat and carb rebuild is in order..you got the idea of how to trouble shoot
pls let me know how it goes

Last edited:

What is a 2 stroke engine?

A 2 stroke engine is a type of internal combustion engine that completes a power cycle in two strokes of the piston (compared to four strokes in a traditional 4 stroke engine). This results in a simpler design and higher power-to-weight ratio, making it popular for small engines such as those used in motorcycles, lawn mowers, and chainsaws.

What are some common problems with 2 stroke engines?

Some common problems with 2 stroke engines include difficulty starting, poor idle, and excessive smoke or oil consumption. These can be caused by issues such as a dirty carburetor, a clogged air filter, or worn out engine components.

How do I fix a flooded 2 stroke engine?

If your 2 stroke engine is flooded (too much fuel in the combustion chamber), you can try removing the spark plug and pulling the starter cord a few times to expel the excess fuel. You can also try starting the engine with the throttle wide open to help clear out the excess fuel.

How do I prevent overheating in a 2 stroke engine?

To prevent overheating in a 2 stroke engine, make sure the cooling system is functioning properly and that there is enough oil mixed in with the fuel. It's also important to avoid running the engine at high speeds for extended periods of time, and to let the engine cool down before refueling.

Why does my 2 stroke engine make a knocking noise?

A knocking noise in a 2 stroke engine can indicate a problem with the engine's bearings or connecting rod. This can be caused by lack of lubrication, excessive wear, or a damaged component. It's important to address this issue promptly to avoid further damage to the engine.