Stator ring coil and connection questions

by StephenD420
Tags: coil, connection, ring, stator
Share this thread:
StephenD420
Jun22-10, 06:45 PM
P: 100
Hello everyone:

I am trying to find a program or formula that will help me figure out how many windings, turns of coil, are needed per coil on a 6 coil steel stator ring powered by 3-phase AC power to get a certain magnetic field strength, about 1.3T. Is there any way that you could help me find out how many windings are needed per coil? Would I use the standard solenoid formula B=mu*N*L?

Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?
If DC is better to create the rotating magnetic field, how would I connect the six coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to a DC power supply

Thanks so much for the help.
Stephen
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
tvavanasd
Jun22-10, 11:58 PM
P: 88
Quote Quote by StephenD420 View Post
Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?
No, that will not work.
Before you start blowing breakers, I would suggest that you learn more about single phase motors and read up on fundamentals of 3 phase power generation.
There is no way to connect your standard outlet to create 3 phase AC.
StephenD420
Jun23-10, 12:05 AM
P: 100
no no... I was wondering if I could use the outlet AC plug with one hot and one neutral leg to connect maybe 4 total coils of the steel stator ring instead of the six coils for three-phase AC power. Can I do that? Or would using DC be better? If so, how would you connect the coils together, a delta or star, and how would you connect the coils to a DC power supply to get a rotating magnetic field?

Also, is there a way to figure out how many turns per coil is needed on the steel stator ring with 4-6 coils to create a rotating magnetic field of a certain strength, about 1.3T? Would using DC or AC as a power source change the number of turns needed?

Thanks.
Stephen

tvavanasd
Jun27-10, 06:57 PM
P: 88
Stator ring coil and connection questions

DC will not work; there will not be a rotating field, only an electro-magnet.

Register to reply