Considering becoming a computer engineer

In summary, The person is considering a career in computer engineering but is unsure if they have the necessary skills. They are not confident in their ability to build things and are wondering if they should even pursue engineering. They ask for honest opinions and mention their strengths in math and science. The conversation suggests that while computer engineering involves some physical skills, most of the work is done on a computer. The person is advised to try learning programming to see if they have an aptitude for it. If they find it difficult or unenjoyable, they may want to consider a different career path such as marketing.
sumrandomdude
I'm exploring different career fields and a computer engineer sounds really appealing to me. The problem is, I don't think I have what it takes to become an engineer. I'm basically retarded with building things... for example, if you gave me a bed to assemble with the directions, i probably still wouldn't be able to do it... yeah, I'm that bad.

So should I even consider any engineering profession?

Be honest guys. Trust me you won't hurt my feelings. If I'm not suited for this job, i'd rather find out now than later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem a lack of coordination or a lack of attention to detail? If you're a klutz, you could still be a fine engineer. Most computer engineers sit in cubes and do very little physically... actual assembly is a technician's job.

On the other hand, if you think your problem is an inability to think logically and pay attention to details... yes, engineering would probably be a poor choice. Maybe you should consider marketing? :smile:

well, I'm good at math and science... so it's probably the first? i hope? lol

If you haven't already, try to learn a little bit of programming. See if you like it, and see if you feel that you have any aptitude for it.

Computer engineering is more than just programming, of course, but even a lot of hardware design is similar to programming these days thanks to languages like Verilog. If you find it difficult or tedious, you might want to consider another line of work...

I understand your concerns about pursuing a career in computer engineering. It is important to have a realistic assessment of your skills and abilities before committing to a particular career path. However, I would like to remind you that engineering is a broad field and there are many different types of engineers with varying skill sets and specialties. While some engineers may excel at building and assembling physical structures, others may excel in problem-solving, design, or coding.

Furthermore, engineering is a constantly evolving field and there are always new technologies and tools being developed that may make certain tasks easier for individuals with different skill sets. Additionally, there are many resources available such as online tutorials, workshops, and mentorship programs that can help you improve your skills in areas where you may feel less confident.

In terms of computer engineering specifically, it is a field that requires a combination of technical skills and creativity. While hands-on experience with building and assembling physical structures may not be necessary, having a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and coding is crucial. If you are interested in pursuing a career in computer engineering, I would recommend exploring introductory courses or workshops to gain a better understanding of the skills and knowledge required in this field.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a career in engineering is a personal one and should be based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. I encourage you to do more research on the field of computer engineering, talk to professionals in the industry, and assess your own skills and interests before making a decision. Remember, it is never too late to learn and improve, and with dedication and hard work, you can achieve success in any career you choose.

1. What is a computer engineer?

A computer engineer is a professional who combines principles of electrical engineering and computer science to design, develop, and test computer hardware and software systems. They work on a wide range of technologies such as processors, memory devices, networks, and operating systems.

2. What skills are needed to become a computer engineer?

To become a computer engineer, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. In addition, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of computer architecture, and familiarity with software development tools are essential.

3. What education is required to become a computer engineer?

Most computer engineering positions require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree for advanced roles. Continuing education and staying updated on the latest technologies is also important in this field.

4. What job opportunities are available for computer engineers?

Computer engineers can find job opportunities in various industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and telecommunications. They can work in roles such as software engineer, hardware engineer, systems analyst, or network engineer. With the rapid growth of technology, the demand for computer engineers is expected to continue to rise.

5. What are the future prospects for computer engineers?

The future for computer engineers looks very promising. As technology continues to advance, the demand for professionals who can design and develop new systems and applications will also increase. This field offers a wide range of career opportunities, high salaries, and the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies. With continuous learning and adapting to new technologies, computer engineers can have a long and successful career.