Electric Motor and Gas Engine Horsepower Equivalency

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of horsepower for an electric motor based on the horsepower and torque of a gas engine. It is explained that the same equation can be used for both types of motors, but the torque may differ due to the way torque is delivered by each type of motor. It is also mentioned that a lower maximum power electric motor may be equivalent to a gas engine at lower rpms. The conversation concludes with a reference to a conversion website for watts to horsepower.
RandallLanier
Is there a way to figure out the horsepower of an electric motor if you know the horsepower of a gas engine.

For example:
If the torque-to-horsepower equation goes as follows: [(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower] and I know that a 161cc gas engine has a Gross Torque of 7.00 ft-lbs, then how can I figure out the equivalent horsepower, while maintaining a constant amount of torque, of an electric motor?

Physics news on Phys.org
That was worded in a very confusing way, so I'm not quite sure what the question is.

You calculate power output (at the shaft) in exactly the same way. torque * angular velocity. Electric motor power input is volts * amps.EDIT: I think I understand where you are getting confused.

That horsepower equation is just the standard torque*angular velocity adapted to use non standrd units (hp and ft.lb). So if you are using the same units for the electric motor, you can use the same eq.

Last edited:
I'm talking like in a mower, for example. it has say 5hp and __ torque. Is the exchange between a gas engine (like above) and an electric motor the same, or would i need a more powerful electric motor to get the same amount of torque?

You'd just need the same power (so long as it's delivered at the same rpm), but this depends beause electric motors deliver their torque differently (constant torque).

If you have the same rated power (so a 5hp electric motor) running at the same rpm (say 2000rpm) as a petrol motor then the torque output will be the same for both the electric motor and the petrol motor.

EDIT: Sorry that's probably quite confusing to read through, it's pretty rambling.

Ok, so if i were to rig a gas mower with an electric motor, and the blade needs X-amount of torque for optimum operation, then I would still use the same 5hp?

Or since the torque is in constant application, would it be more suitable to use a slightly less powerful electric motor - i.e. less hp?

I would tend to prefer swapping the petrol motor (5hp @ xxx rpm) for an identically specced electric motor (5hp @ xxxrpm).You could cartainly swap it out for a different lowered powered motor, there is nothing stopping it, the mower could certainly still work, but altering the speed of the blades or the motor output torque may cause a bad cut or some other bit of the mower to fail.

Here's another question... Does the torque change, even though the horsepower stays the same, since it's applied differently through the various sources (gas versus electric)?

The relationship between power and torque is very simple:

Power = Torque * Angular velocity.

If something is prducing 'X' power at Y RPM then torque will be Z. For the same power output X at 0.5Y RPM then torque must be 2Z.

So for a given power output, for the torque to differ, the RPM at which the power is delivered will be different. so same power but double the RPM = half the torque. or same power at half the rpm = double the torque.In this case:
If the electric motor is still prducing 5hp, but is doing so with more torque, it will be rotating less quickly.

Electrical motors tend to have torque drop off almost linearly as rpms increase, while gas engines tend to have a torque peak somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of their peak rpm. Given this, then a lower maximum power electrical motor might make the same power as a gas engine at lower rpms, if the gas engines peak torque is near 3/4 peak rpm.

1. What is the difference between electric motor horsepower and gas engine horsepower?

The main difference between electric motor horsepower and gas engine horsepower is the way they generate power. An electric motor uses electricity to create rotational motion, whereas a gas engine uses combustion to create energy. This results in differences in efficiency, torque, and power delivery between the two types of motors.

2. How is horsepower measured for electric motors and gas engines?

Horsepower for electric motors is typically measured in watts or kilowatts. Gas engines, on the other hand, use horsepower as a unit of measurement, which is calculated by multiplying the torque by the rotational speed. There are also different standards for measuring horsepower for electric motors and gas engines, making direct comparisons between the two difficult.

3. Is there a direct equivalency between electric motor horsepower and gas engine horsepower?

No, there is no direct equivalency between electric motor horsepower and gas engine horsepower. While both units measure power output, the way this power is delivered and utilized is different. For example, an electric motor may have higher torque at lower speeds, while a gas engine may have higher horsepower at higher speeds.

4. Can you convert electric motor horsepower to gas engine horsepower?

Technically, it is possible to convert electric motor horsepower to gas engine horsepower by using mathematical formulas and conversion factors. However, due to the differences in efficiency and power delivery, the resulting number may not accurately reflect the actual performance of the motors.

5. Which type of motor is more efficient, electric or gas?

In general, electric motors are considered to be more efficient than gas engines. This is because they have fewer moving parts and do not rely on combustion, resulting in less energy loss. However, the efficiency of both motors can vary depending on factors such as the specific model, usage, and maintenance.