Register to reply

Speed inorder to shift green light to blue light?

by Moviemann345
Tags: blue shift, doppler effect, light, speed, wave
Share this thread:
Moviemann345
Jul31-10, 11:44 PM
P: 24
Hypothetically if your in a jet or spaceship & are shining a green laser pen out the window how fast must you travel to cause the green light (570 nm) to change into low energy blue light (475 nm)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Doc Al
Aug1-10, 06:55 AM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Look up the Doppler effect.
Moviemann345
Aug1-10, 10:04 AM
fo = fv/(v vs)? This isn't a hw problem & im not in a physics class, I was just curious

Doc Al
Aug1-10, 10:14 AM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Speed inorder to shift green light to blue light?

Quote Quote by Moviemann345 View Post
fo = fv/(v vs)? This isn't a hw problem & im not in a physics class, I was just curious
You need to use the relativistic Doppler formula:

[tex]f_o = f_s \sqrt{\frac{1 + \beta}{1 - \beta}}[/tex]

where β = v/c

Solve for β, then you'll have the speed. To convert wavelength to frequency, use c = fλ.

This tells you the frequency shift seen by an observer when the light source moves toward him at speed v.
Moviemann345
Aug1-10, 10:33 AM
Oh ok thanks I'll try it out

Register to reply