Help with instantaneous velocity

In summary, the graph shows a constant acceleration over a interval of 0-2 seconds. The instantaneous velocity is the same as the average acceleration over that interval.
ramin86
I was given the following graph:

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p2-03.gif

I must find the instantaneous velocity at T=1.4

The formula for instantaneous velocity is delta x/delta t as t approaches zero. However, I'm still not sure how to work this problem. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the equation for x(t) in the interval t = [0,2]. You should know the velocity by then.

The formula you gave is for instantaneous acceleration, not velocity. So I will assume you are looking for instantaneous acceleration.
You will note the graph is a straight line from 0 - 2 seconds which means the acceleration is constant. The instantaneous acceleration is therefore the same as the average acceleration over that interval.

No, its instantaneous velocity that I'm looking for. I thought instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity over the change in time.

Chronos said:
The formula you gave is for instantaneous acceleration, not velocity. So I will assume you are looking for instantaneous acceleration.
You will note the graph is a straight line from 0 - 2 seconds which means the acceleration is constant. The instantaneous acceleration is therefore the same as the average acceleration over that interval.

HOWEVER though, the graph does not show change in velocity over change in time. It's simply distance vs time. Besides, Ramin gave the right formula, distance over change in time. i think you should ignore chrono's comments Ramin...

Since it is a straight line though, the velocity is not changing, so you can just find the instantaneous velocity by finding the slope of the 0-2 second interval(since t = 1.4 has the same velocity as that interval)

Last edited:
My bad, you are correct, dx/dt. Make a table x1, t1, x2, t2. x1 and t1 will always be 0,0. x2 and t2 will be per the graph. solve for dx/dt at t2 = 1.4 seconds. Hint dx is always x2 - x1 and dt is always t2 - t1

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, taking into account any changes in direction or speed. It is often described as the slope of the object's position-time graph at a given point.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific point in time. Average velocity gives a general idea of an object's overall motion, while instantaneous velocity provides a more detailed understanding of its movement at a specific moment.

3. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by finding the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This can be done using the formula v = lim Δt→0 (Δx/Δt), where v is the instantaneous velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the significance of instantaneous velocity in physics?

Instantaneous velocity is an important concept in physics as it allows for the precise description of an object's motion at any given moment. It is used in many calculations and formulas, such as determining acceleration and understanding the behavior of moving objects.

5. How can instantaneous velocity be measured or observed?

Instantaneous velocity can be measured or observed using various methods, depending on the object and its motion. Some common techniques include using motion sensors, video analysis, or calculating the slope of a position-time graph. In some cases, mathematical equations and formulas can also be used to determine instantaneous velocity.