Flip a coin 2n times; chance of n heads

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the probability of n heads after flipping a coin n times. The equation "n choose k" = n! / k!(n-k)! is mentioned and the conversation explores different ways to generate the data, as well as the expected value and standard error. The final conclusion is that the probability can be calculated using the formula "2n choose n" / 22n = [ (2n)! / n! (2n-n)! ] / 22n.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

I don't my book to give me the exact wording of the question, but the essence is finding a formula for the probability of n heads after flipping a coin n times.

Homework Equations

"n choose k" = n! / k!(n-k)!

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously you have a 1:2 chance of flipping n heads. But I'm not sure how to show this, and I think I'm supposed to use the above equation. The number of possible combinations will be 22n; half of those will have n heads.

Physics news on Phys.org
The odds of flipping exactly n heads in 2n flips isn't 1/2. If n is large it's extremely small. Now if you forget trying to prove it's 1/2, can you solve the problem? You have some of the right ingredients.

Guys, guys, guys ...

I'll draw a picture out for y'all

screen-capture-10.png

After 2 flips, a 1/2 chance of getting 1 head

After 4 flips, a 6/16 chance of getting 2 heads

Not sure where those numbers come from, but ...

When there's an even number of flips --- for example, 3 --- it's impossible to have the same amount of heads as tails. Since you can have 2 heads or 2 tails, though, you can use the paths that give you 2 heads/tails and have a 1/2 chance of getting the same number of heads an tails when that path continues into the 4th flip.

(See what I'm saying? If you look at the 2nd T from the left on the 3rd flip line, you see that 2 H's preceded it, meaning you will have 2 H's and 2 T's for one of the paths that extends from that T to the next flip.)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Your diagram method is correct. The odds of getting two heads in four flips is 6/16. The point of the problem is to compute that without drawing the whole diagram. Use the "n choose k" number and the 2^(2n) total possibilities observations to write a formula for the number of ways to get n heads in 2n flips.

Dick said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Your diagram method is correct. The odds of getting two heads in four flips is 6/16. The point of the problem is to compute that without drawing the whole diagram. Use the "n choose k" number and the 2^(2n) total possibilities observations to write a formula for the number of ways to get n heads in 2n flips.

Well, yeah, there are 22n possibilities to choose from and we want to choose the number that have half as many heads as total coins flipped. How do I find that number?

I understand how "n choose k" works, but don't see how it fits into this problem because somewhere, somehow, I have to sum up the number of heads.

Last edited:
You're thinking of generating a piece of data by:
(2n)-many times:
Flip a coin.
Write down whether it was heads or tails.​
Count how many heads there are.
If there are n heads, keep this sequence. Otherwise discard it.​

You are obviously having trouble counting the set of all possible results of this procedure. Can you think of any other way to generate the same set of data?

Hurkyl said:
You're thinking of generating a piece of data by:
(2n)-many times:
Flip a coin.
Write down whether it was heads or tails.​
and counting how many sequences have n heads in them.

You are obviously having trouble analyzing this procedure. Can you think of any other way to generate the same data?

Well, yeah. I could use Stats, but this a Math Reasoning class.

This keeps track of how many heads:

+1 +0

The average is: (+1+0)/2 = 1/2

After 2n flips, the expected value is (1/2)*2n = n

The Standard Error is: [ ( (1-1/2)2+(0-1/2)2 ) / 2 ]1/2 * √(2n)

etcetera ...

If you write down the 16 possible outcomes from four flips with 2 heads, you get
Code:
H H T T
H T H T
H T T H
T H H T
T H T H
T T H H
Can you see how [tex]\begin{pmatrix}4 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}=6[/tex] might apply here?

Jamin2112 said:
Well, yeah. I could use Stats...
You haven't changed how to generate the data at all -- all you changed is what information you are extracting from the data.

vela said:
If you write down the 16 possible outcomes from four flips with 2 heads, you get
Code:
H H T T
H T H T
H T T H
T H H T
T H T H
T T H H
Can you see how [tex]\begin{pmatrix}4 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}=6[/tex] might apply here?

Oh ...

2=n, and that's the number you need to choose (since 2n=4).

But where did the 22*2 come into play for this problem?

Jamin2112 said:
But where did the 22*2 come into play for this problem?

That's the 16 possible outcomes of 4 flips, out of which 6 = (4 choose 2) are favorable.

owlpride said:
That's the 16 possible outcomes of 4 flips, out of which 6 = (4 choose 2) are favorable.

So the probability P(n) would be

"2n choose n" / 22n = [ (2n)! / n! (2n-n)! ] / 22n

Jamin2112 said:
So the probability P(n) would be

"2n choose n" / 22n = [ (2n)! / n! (2n-n)! ] / 22n

That's it.

1. What does "Flip a coin 2n times" mean?

Flipping a coin 2n times means tossing a coin a total of 2n times, with each toss resulting in either a heads or a tails.

2. What does "chance of n heads" refer to?

This phrase refers to the probability of getting exactly n heads out of the 2n coin flips.

3. How is the chance of n heads calculated?

The chance of n heads is calculated by using the binomial probability formula, which takes into account the number of trials (2n), the probability of success (0.5 for a fair coin), and the desired number of successes (n).

4. What is the significance of flipping a coin 2n times?

Flipping a coin 2n times is a commonly used example in probability and statistics to demonstrate the concept of binomial distribution and to calculate probabilities of specific outcomes.

5. Is the chance of n heads the same for every value of n?

No, the chance of n heads will vary for different values of n. As n increases, the chance of getting exactly n heads decreases, while the chance of getting n-1 or n+1 heads increases.