What makes life worthwhile for you?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, Nylex finds life worth living because of the small victories and the temporary addictions that keep him going.
Loren Booda
From basic survival to the promise of heaven, what drives your will to live?

(I'm listening to PBS's "9/11: A Tale of Two Towers." Very disturbing.)

Physics news on Phys.org
geez, hadn't really thought about it before. I can't think of anything. I'm heading out to lover's leap. No that's not true. Different things make me go on living, it might be something different everyday. Today it has been the posts that tell me I was missed. On other days it is my daughter, on other days it is simply the fear of the alternative. Lately it has been finding people worse off than me and making their life better, giving them something to live for. Tomorrow it is going to be my upcoming engagement to Evo, looking forward to the honeymoon.

Congrats, tribdo...hey, watch out for that shoe ! :wink:

What stops me from finding the nearest cliff:

* Natural instinct to stay alive
* Don't want to cause grief to parents and sibling
* Hobbies and interests

You could say I'm in the waiting room for death, but with the fortune to have some toys to play with.

What keeps me going?

My daughters and the wonderful people I've gotten to know here at PF. :smile:

My raison d'etre is to use my opposable thumb every morning to open a can of cat food for the feline I serve. Everything beyond that is trivial.

That feline being represented in your avatar?

Chaos. Disorder. Widespread panic. My work is done here.

PS: My signature is my reason for living. My last words will be, "My work is done here."

rathma said:
That feline being represented in your avatar?
well, not really, because my kitty is more .. er.. well rounded. I do my job well! :biggrin:

Hmmm...that's a tough question. I don't know. Probably that I'm really good at being alive and too stubborn to let anyone change that on me :biggrin: Really, it's just all the little things. Like, tonight I've been bouncing around my office because I finally came across an article for my research that explains, at least to me, a lot of contradictory studies I've been reading. Even better, it fits well with the experiment I've been hatching, so I finally have a solid hypothesis!

Or, maybe it's just that I finally had a three-day weekend that I spent at home, being a completely lazy bum, and hanging around PF. It felt really good to take a few days to do nothing. But that was enough, now I'm bored of doing nothing and back to work tonight.

Really, it's the small victories that keep me going. Watching the light-bulb turn on over a student's head, a successful experiment, the new season of a favorite TV show starting, sitting in my office at home a good two weeks after painting and still liking the colors. :wink:

My raison d'etre is learning.
Tsu : you learned me today that I can use raison d'etre in english. Thanks !

"What's the french word for entrepreneur" :rofl:
I still can't get enough of this one !

Family, friends, Women, thoughts, (oh and nature&the other animals too), and all those temporary addictions there are too many of.

Last edited:
How could I forget women

I used to live for music and the aim to get better at maths and science. Now I also live for my girlfriend, who I can no longer live without. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

humanino said:
How could I forget women

Youuuu were distracted by Tsu?

It's not really worthwhile, my life sucks :frown:.

pace said:
Youuuu were distracted by Tsu?

OK, I am really sorry Math Is Hard ! :redface: :blushing: :shy:
I have no idea what happened in my head. I know I wrote this after a long weekend (really great) but much too few sleeping. I won't be able to deal with this day.

life is short

Nylex said:
It's not really worthwhile, my life sucks :frown:.

Nylex, I lost a some of the very most important "things" in my life during the last two years. Now, I realize the only things that can't be taken from me are in my head.

Cheer up buddy ! You have at least one of the greatest thing around in your life : that's PF. You'll ever people here to help you out.

Maybe it's all this time MIH has been spending in Tsu's kitchen that confused me.

Life is worth living for:
-Sex
-French Food
-Philosophy
-Sun Tzu
and
-My destiny to take over the world.

not necessarily in that order.

humanino said:
OK, I am really sorry Math Is Hard ! :redface: :blushing: :shy:
I have no idea what happened in my head. I know I wrote this after a long weekend (really great) but much too few sleeping. I won't be able to deal with this day.

No problem - you can confuse me with Tsu anytime. :biggrin: I find it flattering! :approve:

Smurf said:
Life is worth living for:
-Sex
-French Food
-Philosophy
-Sun Tzu
and
-My destiny to take over the world.

not necessarily in that order.

I was a little surprised by #4...and then I read #5 ! :biggrin:

ok maybe those 2 are in order :wink:

Life makes life worth living.

Math Is Hard said:
No problem - you can confuse me with Tsu anytime. :biggrin: I find it flattering! :approve:
So are you related with Evo and Tsu ?

Smurf said:
French Food
:approve:
... and french kiss :biggrin:

Freedom kiss :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Adam said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I second that !

humanino said:
:approve:

:rofl: :rofl: You can just see it happening too.

humanino said:
So are you related with Evo and Tsu ?

I am actually!
I am their sister, hence the similarity. Evo and Tsu are identical twins and look exactly alike. I just sort of resemble them. :biggrin:

humanino said:
And French chocolate! :approve:

That is a lot of similar women, if you consider again Evo's daughter :bugeye:

That also explains to me many things (especially the fact that you always hang around Tsu's kitchen :wink: Fortunately, you never managed to find the secret Fauchon hiding cabinet :tongue2: )

I prefer Swiss chocolate

I like Swiss and Belgian. Some Australian chocolates are amazing.

I like belgian beer.

Never tried it. Australia is very limited when it comes to beer choices.

Yeah your beer tastes like piss apparently. never tried it myself but it isn't popular in this country.