water pressure in multiple tanks

by eocbusy
Tags: multiple, pressure, tanks, water
eocbusy
Aug10-10, 11:46 AM
P: 2
hi - i am new so forgive any errors.
question is this. if a number of water tanks are stacked one on top of the other. and each share the same downpipe with a tap at ground level. When the tap is opened which tank will drain first and why?

many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
sfsy1
Aug11-10, 02:00 AM
P: 18
shouldn't they be drained at the same rate?
rcgldr
Aug11-10, 03:35 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,925
In the initial state with the tap closed, why isn't water flowing from the higher tanks into the lower tanks like normal siphon process?

sfsy1
Aug11-10, 03:47 AM
P: 18

water pressure in multiple tanks

i think u should use an illustration to show how are the tanks connected
ACPower
Aug11-10, 07:07 AM
P: 25
The top tank will drain first, since the tanks below it would be refilled from the tank above, were their levels to go down.
eocbusy
Aug11-10, 07:39 AM
P: 2
thanks for replies so far. but clearly i have not given enough info.
the tanks are all full. they are each connected to a single downpipe. Each connector has a one way flow valve. so water cannot flow from one tank into another. in that scenario when the tap at ground level is opened all the tanks will compete to discharge their volume. i would just like some guidance on which would empty first. and of course why. t

thanks again.
schip666!
Aug11-10, 11:26 AM
P: 595
I think the pressure from (on?) the highest tank would cause it to drain first as that pressure would keep all your lower check-valves closed. In fact I would hazard to go further out on the limb and say that the check-valves are superflous.
rcgldr
Aug11-10, 11:29 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,925
The one way valves will not open until pressure outside the valve is lower than pressure inside the valve, so until all water above any current tank's water level is drained, the valve for that tank will not open. The top tank drains first, then the water in the pipe above the 2nd tank drains next, then the 2nd tank and water in the pipe just below level of water in 2nd tank drains, ...

Register to reply