Gravity forces converted to energy

by lb6149
Tags: converted, energy, forces, gravity
lb6149
Sep13-04, 04:15 AM
P: 2
Can anyone help me on this?

If I have a very large ball (ball A) and a tiny ball (ball B) as such that ball B is attracted by the center of ball A, then theorically, if ball A is a perfect sphere I could expect ball B to start spinning on ball A and never stop as ball B won't have anywhere to rest on ball A. Am I right?

In fact, this would be the opposite of anti-gravity and by multiplying that force we could extract an energy that could eventually move an object.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Integral
Sep13-04, 04:39 AM
Mentor
P: 7,291
Actually we routinely extract energy, and nearly endless from a combination of the suns heat and gravity. The sun evaporates sea water, it falls in the mountains as rain. We dam the streams and generate electricity.

As for your balls, I have no clue what you are talking about but I can be sure that it will not work. Simply because you are talking about a free lunch. TANSTAAFL.
kuenmao
Sep13-04, 05:52 AM
P: 76
What you think is wrong because ball B WILL rest on ball A, because the gravitational forces will not help ball B to roll along the side of ball A. The force on ball B is drawn towards the centre of ball A, which makes the two stick.
I don't see why ball B should start spinning around.

Tide
Sep13-04, 09:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,149

Gravity forces converted to energy

The Earth is like a big ball. Place a small ball such as a bowling ball someplace on the Earth's surface and let us know whether it spins out of control! :-)
Nenad
Sep13-04, 12:14 PM
P: 698
ya, the ball would not spin around the other ball since the force between the two balls is directly perpendicular to the intersection tangent. Theregore, there would be no force to push the ball in one direction or another.
daveed
Sep13-04, 08:11 PM
P: 142
since the force between the two balls is directly perpendicular to the intersection tangent
...a very long way to say towards the centers of masses
elyrly
Sep13-04, 08:12 PM
P: 4
[tex]v(average) = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]

[tex]s=ut + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2 + 2as[/tex]

lb6149
Sep17-04, 10:48 AM
P: 2
but what if I push two balls against each other? They can't possibly stick together. This is what I mean.
Ba
Sep17-04, 11:09 AM
P: 104
As long as you still apply force to both balls directly towards each other they will touch at a tangent point and stay that way unless the force changes direction.

Register to reply