Register to reply

Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense

by nismaratwork
Tags: caffeine, defense, step, twinkie
Share this thread:
nismaratwork
Sep20-10, 05:25 PM
P: 2,284
I must admit, that this surprised me. I you're wrecked on meth or cocaine and kill someone, its still murder,m but somehow this is a defense being offered in a court of law: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/20...ffeine/?hpt=T2

Twinkie defense, meet Caffeine (and sleep dep) defense.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
cronxeh
Sep20-10, 05:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Pfft.. you know how many people died because I didn't get my morning coffee?
Hurkyl
Sep20-10, 05:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
Temporary insanity isn't a particularly new defense.

Ivan Seeking
Sep20-10, 05:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense

Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
Temporary insanity isn't a particularly new defense.
Heck, I've been using it for years.
DR13
Sep20-10, 05:49 PM
P: 207
This is rediculous. Please, jury, dont be stupid
Ivan Seeking
Sep20-10, 05:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Is is possible that some people could be susceptible to various drugs in this way - that sugar really can drive a few people in a mllion, to murder; for others, it's caffeine, and maybe MSG or peanuts for others?

Can allergies drive a person into a state of temporary insanity?
Evo
Sep20-10, 05:56 PM
Mentor
P: 26,485
Oh please. Too much caffeine?
DR13
Sep20-10, 06:04 PM
P: 207
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Is it possible that some people could be susceptible to various drugs in this way - that sugar really can drive a few people in a mllion, to murder; for others, it's caffeine, and maybe MSG or peanuts for others?
I really hope you're kidding. If this was true many, many more people would be murdering.
Evo
Sep20-10, 06:17 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by DR13 View Post
I really hope you're kidding. If this was true many, many more people would be murdering.
Maybe they are but they don't have a coniving lawyer drumming up a bogus defense for them.
Ivan Seeking
Sep20-10, 06:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DR13 View Post
Not necessarily. I'm not saying such a thing is possible, but, if it is, then it might be a matter of circumstance - perhaps a trigger of some sort is needed, perhaps an emotional trigger. We would have to know if and how such a thing is possible in order to speculate on the specifics.

Beyond that, if it is possible, perhaps this could explain some percentage of existing convictions. We can't assume it doesn't happen in order to conclude that it can't.
Ivan Seeking
Sep20-10, 06:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
From my point of view, a child's rage is a form of temporary insanity. I don't know the current thinking, but the last time I checked, feeding a kid sugar was considered a good way to trigger a problem.
Ivan Seeking
Sep20-10, 06:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Caffeine intoxication

Main symptoms of caffeine intoxication.[77]An acute overdose of caffeine usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90),[101

In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, and psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[102][103]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine
Evo
Sep20-10, 06:41 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
From my point of view, a child's rage is a form of temporary insanity. I don't know the current thinking, but the last time I checked, feeding a kid sugar was considered a good way to trigger a problem.
I've also seen studies where half of the children were given sugar and half were given a placebo, and the parents observed "sugar induced hyperactivity" in as many or more of the placebo fed children.

The children, parents and researchers involved in the studies never knew which children were given which diets (this is known as a "double-blind" study and helps to prevent unconscious biases from affecting the results).

An analysis of the results of all these studies was published in the November 22, 1995, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. The researchers' conclusions? Sugar in the diet did not affect the children's behavior.
http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/childr...myth.kids.wmd/
Evo
Sep20-10, 06:53 PM
Mentor
But the article also states that he'd need to ingest, in a relatively short timeframe
roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame
If he indeed had an overdose this significant, he'd likely have ended up in the ER. I didn't read that he was actually tested to have had an overdose or that was treated medically. I'm wondering if there is another article that shows there is medical evidence that backs up this guy had such a an overdose at the time of the murder and that backs up his lawyer's claim?
turbo
Sep20-10, 06:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
There's a wrinkle in this story. Smith's lawyer initially wanted to rely on a temporary insanity plea (citing the high caffeine use), but now he is saying that Smith's confession is inadmissible because Smith was "out of it" due to sleep deprivation cause by caffeine use.
Topher925
Sep20-10, 07:32 PM
P: 1,672
Quote Quote by cronxeh View Post
pfft.. You know how many people died because i didn't get my morning coffee?
7 ???
Proton Soup
Sep20-10, 10:22 PM
P: 1,070
caffeine itself, i'd say no. sleep deprivation could be a definite yes. modafinil can cause psychosis with no direct stimulation at all.
nismaratwork
Sep21-10, 12:51 AM
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
caffeine itself, i'd say no. sleep deprivation could be a definite yes. modafinil can cause psychosis with no direct stimulation at all.
True, but so can methamphetamine or cocaine, and intoxication due to either isn't a defense for murder. One chooses to take a drug, be it caffeine or cocaine, and if that drives you to a psychotic state, you get to live with the consequences.

Anyway, I was pretty sure you folks would enjoy this one, I know it made me laugh out loud.

Register to reply