Solved: Radioactive Decay Equations, Identify Type of Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses completing decay equations by inserting missing particle or nuclide information and identifying the type of decay. The given examples include beta decay, alpha decay, and fission. There is also a discussion about the relevance of energy in the equations and a question about the result of an electron positron bond.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

Complete the following decay equations by inserting the missing particle or nuclide information. Identify each type of decay.

i) 90?Sr = ?39Y + ? + ?

ii) 22?Na = ??Ne + β+ + ? + energy

iii)24294Pu = ??? + alpha + ?

iv) 235?U = 91?Sr + 141?Xe + ?

v) 0-1e + 0+1e → ?

The Attempt at a Solution

i) 9038Sr = 8939Y + β- + ? this is beta decay.
- note, lost 1 nucleon. is this ? just 1n?

ii) 2211Na = 2010Ne + β+ + ? + energy also beta decay
- note, lost 2 nucleons. is this ? just 21n?

iii) 24294Pu = 23892U + alpha + ? alpha decay

iv) 23592U = 9138Sr + 14154Xe + ? fission?

v) i have no idea.

- Just looking at that, there seems to be an extra ? for each decay equation. in my text throughout there's only the decay pronumeral in the products, not something extra as well. so I am not really sure what is meant to go in there?
- Also I am not sure about the relevance of the energy is ii) since all of these decays emit energy anyway.
- iv) doesn't look to be any kind of decay, it seems to represent fission. which would make that '?' 31n?
- and v) i have no idea what the result of an electron positron bond is.

Physics news on Phys.org
v) Matter and antimatter combining to result in something that, according to the superscript and subscript, will have no mass and no charge. That tells us what comes out of it.

ohhh... becomes 2 neutrinos where a neutrino is a particle with no charge and mass equal to an electron?... that would conserve mass and charge...

and your not sure about the other '?' either?

stumpedddd

just so my thread goes to the top of the list again so more people see it. haha

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, resulting in the formation of a more stable nucleus.

2. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons), beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (an electron or positron), and gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray (high-energy electromagnetic radiation).

3. How do you write a radioactive decay equation?

A radioactive decay equation can be written in the form A = A0e-kt, where A is the amount of the original substance remaining after time t, A0 is the initial amount of the substance, and k is the decay constant.

4. How do you determine the type of decay from a radioactive decay equation?

The type of decay can be determined by looking at the particle emitted in the equation. If an alpha particle is emitted, it is alpha decay. If a beta particle is emitted, it is beta decay. If a gamma ray is emitted, it is gamma decay.

5. What factors affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay is affected by the half-life of the substance, the amount of the substance present, and any external influences such as temperature or pressure. It is a random process and is not affected by factors such as chemical reactions or physical changes.