Electric potential at point x on the axis of a ring of charge density eta

by Bng1290
Tags: axis, charge, density, electric, point, potential, ring
Share this thread:
Bng1290
Oct21-10, 09:55 AM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A circular disk of radius R and total charge Q has the charge distributed with surface charge density [tex]\eta[/tex] = cr, where c is a constant. Find an expression for the electric potential at distance z on the axis of the disk. Your expression should include R and Q, but not c.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\eta[/tex]=cr where c is constant
V=(1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex])(Q/r)
V=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Vi

3. The attempt at a solution
So what I did was to sum all Vi and i was able to pull (1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex]) and (1/sqrt(z^2+R^2) out which leaves me with Q left in the sum which I know i need to relate to [tex]\eta[/tex] in some way. The problem I'm having here is that I just don't understand how to work with [tex]\eta[/tex]=cr in such a way as to get rid of the constant c in my answer.

I feel like I'm not grasping this problem as a whole so any help would be wonderful. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
quenderin
Oct22-10, 01:18 AM
P: 17
To eliminate c, since \eta = cr, you can integrate the charge density over the disk to compute the total charge, Q. This should give you c in terms of Q and R.
Bng1290
Oct22-10, 07:24 AM
P: 5
Nice! Thanks so much!

Register to reply