The difference between microscopic and macroscopic cross sections.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of microscopic and macroscopic cross sections for different elements and how they can be compared and calculated. The microscopic absorption cross section is the probability of an individual atom absorbing a neutron, while the macroscopic cross section refers to the total probability of a bulk material absorbing a neutron, taking into account the density of the material. The conversation also provides formulas for calculating the macroscopic cross section using the given values.
CaptainMayhem
Hello there folks. So I'm doing some homework, and one of the questions asks for a comparison of the microscopic absorption cross sections of B, Cd, Gd, and Hf with the fission cross section of U-235. I've found the fission cross section in my trusty 17th edition of Nuclides and Isotopes, but the next part of the question confused me. It then asks for the macroscopic cross sections assuming density is derived from the periodic table.

I'm not sure how to figure out the micro/macroscopic cross sections. There is only one given value per nuclide. Help?!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Microscopic cross-sections (σ) are given for each nuclide usually in units of barns, where 1 b = 1 x 10-24 cm2. It is essentially the effective area for the particular reaction.

The macroscopic cross-section (Σ) has units of cm-1 is derived from the microscopic section according to

Σ = N σ, where N is the atomic density of a particular nuclide.

The reaction rate for a give interaction = Σ Φ, where Φ is the neutron flux.

These forumla work well for average or thermal neutron energies. If a wide enough energy spectrum is considered then one has to use integrals over the appropriate energy range.

Hi there! I can try to help you out with this question. The microscopic absorption cross section refers to the probability of an individual atom of a specific element (in this case B, Cd, Gd, and Hf) absorbing a neutron. This value is usually given in units of barns (1 barn = 10^-24 cm^2). The fission cross section of U-235 is also given in barns.

To compare these values, you can simply divide the microscopic absorption cross section of each element by the fission cross section of U-235. This will give you a ratio that shows how likely each element is to absorb a neutron compared to U-235.

As for the macroscopic cross sections, these refer to the total probability of a bulk material (in this case, the elements B, Cd, Gd, and Hf) absorbing a neutron. This value is dependent on the density of the material. To calculate the macroscopic cross section, you can use the following formula:

Macroscopic cross section = (microscopic cross section * number density of atoms)/density of material

The number density of atoms can be calculated using the Avogadro's number and the atomic weight of the element. The density of the material can be found on the periodic table.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your homework!

What is the difference between microscopic and macroscopic cross sections?

Microscopic cross section refers to the probability of an individual particle interacting with a target particle, while macroscopic cross section is the measure of the overall probability of an interaction occurring in a given volume of material.

Why is it important to understand the difference between microscopic and macroscopic cross sections?

Understanding the difference between microscopic and macroscopic cross sections allows scientists to accurately predict and measure the behavior of particles in different materials, which is crucial for a wide range of applications in fields such as nuclear physics, medical imaging, and materials science.

How are microscopic and macroscopic cross sections related?

Microscopic and macroscopic cross sections are related through the number density of target particles in a material. The macroscopic cross section is equal to the product of the microscopic cross section and the number density of target particles.

What factors can affect the value of microscopic and macroscopic cross sections?

The value of microscopic and macroscopic cross sections can be affected by the type of particles involved, the energy of the particles, the material they are interacting with, and the angle of interaction.

How are microscopic and macroscopic cross sections measured?

Microscopic cross sections are typically measured using experiments that involve colliding particles with a target material and measuring the resulting interactions. Macroscopic cross sections can be calculated from the measured microscopic cross section and the number density of particles in the material.