Expected value for potential energy (quantum)

Don't hijack someone else's thread.In summary, the conversation discusses a question on calculating the expected value for potential energy of a He atom in the ground state using the V(r) = Z/(4(pi)E) = k (1/r) equation. The conversation includes a discussion of the units and constants involved in the equation, as well as how to find the expectation value of r. Later, the conversation touches on the possibility of calculating <V(x)> without knowing the wavefunction and the linearity of V(x).
Sapper6

Homework Statement

The radial distribution factor for a 1s orbital given: R10
Calculate the expected value for potential energy of a He atom in the ground state.

Homework Equations

i understand the integral math where I solve down to <1/r> = z/a

but now, how do i use the V(r) = Z/(4(pi)E) = k (1/r) equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i know Z is 2 for He and E is in coulombs and I need to end with joules, but I am just stumped on this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by
Sapper6 said:
but now, how do i use the V(r) = Z/(4(pi)E) = k (1/r) equation.

I am trying to find the expected potential energy. The equation I have is:

Z
--------- x (1/r) = V(r)
4*(pi)*E

Z is charge which equals 2 for Helium (number of protons) and I would sub in (2/a) for 1/r

i am assuming i would use Bohr's radius here where ao= 5.291x10^10m

but I don't know how to find expected potential energy after I solved the radial integral for <1/r>.. especially what is E here

OK, you're missing some pretty basic stuff, which is why your confusion seemed so strange to me. First, the potential is

[tex]V(r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Ze^2}{r}[/tex]

You should recognize that expression from basic from basic electromagnetics. It's not E in the expression, but ϵ0, the permittivity of free space. Second, the expectation value of the potential energy is

[tex]\langle V(r) \rangle = \langle \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Ze^2}{r}\rangle[/itex]

If you already have <1/r>, you pretty much have the answer.

Last edited:
i am having trouble following the units. aren't you missing an e^2 term?

the units should go:

V(r) = Ze^2/(4(pi)e0) * <1/r>

Ze^2 = C^2 e0 = C/(V*m) 1/r = 1/m

So, V(r) = C*V = J

if my <1/r> is actually (2/a), i think i substitute in the following:

Z= 2 (no units for Helium)
a= 5.29 x 10^10 m
what is eo?

i have a constant that is written eo= 8.854 x 10^12 F/m and i know F is 9.648C/mol

can you please walk me through the substitution with eo?

Sapper6 said:
i am having trouble following the units. aren't you missing an e^2 term?
Yup, you're right. I fixed the previous post.
the units should go:

V(r) = Ze^2/(4(pi)e0) * <1/r>

Ze^2 = C^2 e0 = C/(V*m) 1/r = 1/m

So, V(r) = C*V = J

if my <1/r> is actually (2/a), i think i substitute in the following:

Z= 2 (no units for Helium)
a= 5.29 x 10^10 m
what is eo?

i have a constant that is written eo= 8.854 x 10^12 F/m and i know F is 9.648C/mol

can you please walk me through the substitution with eo?
A farad is a coulomb per volt, so ϵ0=8.854x1012 C/(V m), which are the units you had above. A farad is definitely not a coulomb per mole.

You're thinking of the Faraday constant F, the amount of charge in one mole of electrons (ignoring the sign), which is not the same thing as a farad, also denoted by F, the unit of capacitance.

thank you, i understand now, i appreciate the help

Can somebody set this straight for me (I have the same problem)? All you need to do is substitute in values? If so, where does the value of r come from, the expectation value for r, <r>?

To find <1/r>, you have to do the integral

[tex]\int \psi^*(\vec{r})\left(\frac{1}{z}\right)\psi(\vec{r})\,d^3\vec{r}[/tex]

where ψ is the wavefunction for the state.

I have a question about the last expression, I mean the integral for the expectation value. If we are given potential V(x) and ground state energy E0, and corresponding eigenvector U0 , is it possible to calculate <V(x)> without knowing wavefunction?

Another question is: because V(x) is a linear operator can we assume that
[tex]
\int\psi^*V(x)\psi dx=\left|\psi\right|^2\int{V(x)dx} ?
[/tex]

Mancho said:
I have a question about the last expression, I mean the integral for the expectation value. If we are given potential V(x) and ground state energy E0, and corresponding eigenvector U0 , is it possible to calculate <V(x)> without knowing wavefunction?
Perhaps. In the case of the simple harmonic oscillator, you certainly can. Did you have a specific problem in mind?
Another question is: because V(x) is a linear operator can we assume that
[tex]
\int\psi^*V(x)\psi dx=\left|\psi\right|^2\int{V(x)dx} ?
[/tex]
Nope. I don't see how you got that from the linearity of V(x).

vela said:
Perhaps. In the case of the simple harmonic oscillator, you certainly can. Did you have a specific problem in mind?

Yes, I was given V(x)=1/(cosh(x-pi/2))² where 0<x<pi; I had to calculate ground state energy numerically and I got it, as well as eigenvector. then I was simply asked to calculate <V(x)>, but I couldn't get an idea how I could get it without knowing wavefunction. I tried to analytically solve Schrodinger equation with this potential but it seems too complicated, that's why I think maybe there is some other way.

vela said:
Nope. I don't see how you got that from the linearity of V(x).

OK, seems I misunderstood.

You should start a new thread with your problem and showing your work so far.

1. What is potential energy in quantum mechanics?

Potential energy in quantum mechanics refers to the energy that a particle or system of particles possesses due to its position or configuration in a given field or potential. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is potential energy related to the concept of expected value?

In quantum mechanics, expected value is a measure of the average value of a physical quantity, such as energy, that is calculated based on the probability of obtaining different values for that quantity. The expected value for potential energy is the average value of the potential energy of a particle or system in a given state, taking into account all possible values and their corresponding probabilities.

3. Can potential energy be measured directly in quantum mechanics?

No, potential energy cannot be measured directly in quantum mechanics. This is because the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with certainty, as described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Therefore, potential energy can only be inferred through calculations based on the particle's wave function or by observing its effects on other particles.

4. How does the concept of expected value for potential energy relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a system's wave function. It includes a term for potential energy, which is used to calculate the expected value of potential energy for a given state of the system. This allows us to predict the behavior and interactions of particles based on their potential energy in a given environment.

5. Can the expected value for potential energy be negative in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the expected value for potential energy can be negative in quantum mechanics. This is because potential energy is a relative quantity and can be compared to a reference point, such as the ground state of a particle. Therefore, a negative expected value for potential energy indicates that the particle has lower potential energy than the reference state, which can be seen as a more stable or favorable state.