Session loss when clicking top header link

by hadsed
Tags: clicking, header, loss, session
hadsed
Nov5-10, 12:57 AM
P: 496
Well, the topic really says the problem. In vBulletin I know if you don't create your links a certain way, the session will be lost. It's been a really long time since I've worked with it so sorry I can't give any specifics on how to fix. It's very simple though, as far as I can remember, so probably looking at any other link would instantly show. I believe there's built-in functions for creating links so that sessions don't get lost.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Borek
Nov5-10, 03:40 AM
Admin
P: 22,673
Can you be a little bit more specific? I guess you may be referring to the difference between addresses given as www.physicsforums.com and physicsforums.com, but I am not sure.
Kurdt
Nov5-10, 07:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
I think you have it borek. If you sign in under one of them then use a link to the other you won't be signed in any more. Its always best practice to include the www.

Borek
Nov5-10, 12:37 PM
Admin
P: 22,673

Session loss when clicking top header link

It is because of the way cookies are handled, they are assigned to the domain.
dlgoff
Nov5-10, 04:53 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
I opened this page both ways to check how firefox handles the cookies. Looks like both sets get stored under the same physicsforums.com heading.
hadsed
Nov16-10, 10:20 PM
P: 496
Well it happens whenever I, say, click a link from google or somebody else links to another page from either this forum or somewhere else on the internet. I'm not sure why, and I suppose that outside links can't be helped, but it does happen with links on these forums as well.

Register to reply