Register to reply

Session loss when clicking top header link

by hadsed
Tags: clicking, header, loss, session
Share this thread:
hadsed
Nov5-10, 12:57 AM
P: 492
Well, the topic really says the problem. In vBulletin I know if you don't create your links a certain way, the session will be lost. It's been a really long time since I've worked with it so sorry I can't give any specifics on how to fix. It's very simple though, as far as I can remember, so probably looking at any other link would instantly show. I believe there's built-in functions for creating links so that sessions don't get lost.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Borek
Nov5-10, 03:40 AM
Admin
P: 23,568
Can you be a little bit more specific? I guess you may be referring to the difference between addresses given as www.physicsforums.com and physicsforums.com, but I am not sure.
Kurdt
Nov5-10, 07:59 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
I think you have it borek. If you sign in under one of them then use a link to the other you won't be signed in any more. Its always best practice to include the www.

Borek
Nov5-10, 12:37 PM
Admin
P: 23,568
Session loss when clicking top header link

It is because of the way cookies are handled, they are assigned to the domain.
dlgoff
Nov5-10, 04:53 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,721
I opened this page both ways to check how firefox handles the cookies. Looks like both sets get stored under the same physicsforums.com heading.
hadsed
Nov16-10, 10:20 PM
P: 492
Well it happens whenever I, say, click a link from google or somebody else links to another page from either this forum or somewhere else on the internet. I'm not sure why, and I suppose that outside links can't be helped, but it does happen with links on these forums as well.

Register to reply