Best way of learning?

by atypical
Tags: learning
atypical
Nov17-10, 08:13 PM
P: 13
I am trying to teach myself physics. I have been going through the book "physics for scientists and engineers" by serway and jewett and doing all the problems in the back of the book and comparing my answers with the solution manual. I also downloaded all the physics lecture from MIT and Yale. I know a good majority of the people here are much more experienced than I, so i ask, is this the best way to self teach yourself?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
twofish-quant
Nov17-10, 10:23 PM
P: 6,863
Quote Quote by atypical View Post
I also downloaded all the physics lecture from MIT and Yale. I know a good majority of the people here are much more experienced than I, so i ask, is this the best way to self teach yourself?
That's different from person to person, so you'll have to figure out what works for you. Doing a lot of problems is something that is pretty essential, but how you can set things up so that you have the motivation to do lots of problems is different from person to person.

If you really want to learn physics (as opposed to problem solving using physics), what I find useful is to go to a library, open up a journal article and try to make sense of it.
Null_
Nov18-10, 10:39 AM
P: 232
Quote Quote by twofish-quant View Post

If you really want to learn physics (as opposed to problem solving using physics), what I find useful is to go to a library, open up a journal article and try to make sense of it.

I'm taking Physics I, but I have never read a journal article. I don't even know where to begin...I'm at a large university, so they have a good selection. I'm interested in astrophysics but am studying the three fundamental principles. Could you point me in the right direction as to journals to find?

Register to reply