by radou
Tags: continuous, normal, spaces, surjective
Share this thread:
radou
Nov20-10, 03:51 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let p : X --> Y be a closed, continuous and surjective map. Show that if X is normal, so is Y.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the following lemma:

X is normal iff given a closed set A and open set U containing A, there is an open set V containing A and whose closure is contained in U.

So, let A be a closed set in Y, and U some neighborhood of A. By continuity, f^-1(A) is closed in X, and f^-1(U) is open in X. Further on, f^-1(U) is an open neighborhood of f^-1(A), since it contains f^-1(A). If we apply the lemma above to these sets, we can find an open set V which satisfies the criterion, since X is regular. Since p is a closed map, the image of Cl(V) is closed, and since all the inclusions remain preserved, Y is normal.

By the way, just to check, the requirement for p to be surjective was because we have chosen a set in Y, and surjectivity guarantees that this set has a well-defined preimage, right?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
micromass
Nov21-10, 07:18 AM
Mentor
P: 18,023
Yes, the idea is correct. But you did use surjectivity in an essential way. Let me point out where: you have the following situation in X:

[tex]f^{-1}(A)\subseteq V\subseteq Cl(V)\subseteq f^{-1}(U)[/tex]

By taking the image of f, you obtain

[tex]f(f^{-1}(A))\subseteq f(Cl(V))\subseteq f(f^{-1}(U))[/tex]

This is not want you want... You want

[tex]A\subseteq f(Cl(V))\subseteq U[/tex]

This is where surjectivity comes in, since then it holds that [tex]f(f^{-1}(A))=A[/tex].
micromass
Nov21-10, 07:20 AM
Mentor
Also f(V) is not necessairily open...

radou
Nov21-10, 02:31 PM
HW Helper
Closed continuous surjective map and normal spaces

Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Also f(V) is not necessairily open...
Oh yes, I forgot the set we're looking for needs to be open! Hm, how could I make that right?
radou
Nov21-10, 02:38 PM
HW Helper
Actually, hold on, I just remembered there's a hint in the book - I'll think it through first.
micromass
Nov21-10, 03:36 PM
Mentor
Ah yes, I can see there's a hint. I don't think it is possible to prove this without that hint...

What that hint asks you to prove, is actually equivalent to closedness of maps...
radou
Nov21-10, 04:46 PM
HW Helper
I think I see how I can prove it with using the hint, but I have problems proving the hint :) I'll continue thinking about it, but it's starting to drive me crazy.
micromass
Nov21-10, 04:53 PM
Mentor
You should only use closedness for proving the hint. I'll get you started:

Take U open such that [tex]p^{-1}(y)\subseteq U[/tex]. Then [tex]X\setminus U[/tex] is closed. The closedness of p yields that [tex]p(X\setminus U)[/tex] is closed. Thus [tex]W:=Y\setminus p(X\setminus U)[/tex] is open. Now show that this W satisfies all our desires...
radou
Nov21-10, 05:25 PM
HW Helper
p^-1(W) = p^-1(Y) \ p^-1(p(X\U)) = X \ p^-1(p(X\U)), and since X\U[tex]\subseteq[/tex]p^-1(p(X\U)), p^-1(W) is contained in U, right?

Now, apply out hint to the set V, which is open and contains p^-1({a}), for any a in A, we can find a neighborhood Wa of a such that p^-1(Wa) is contained in V.

Now, any Wa is contained in p(V), so the union W of all the Wa's along the set A is contained in p(V), right? And hence, in p(Cl(V)), too. SO, the closure of W is contained in p(CL(V)), so W and its closure are the sets we needed to find.

Uhh, I feel this is very slippery.
micromass
Nov21-10, 05:31 PM
Mentor
Yes, that seems all correct. There's just one thing: you didn't prove the hint completely: you still need to show that W is a neighbourhood of y (thus [tex]y\in W[/tex]), but this shouldn't give to much of a problem.
radou
Nov21-10, 05:37 PM
HW Helper
Well W = Y \ p(X\U) contains all the images of the elements in U, right? And some elements must map to y.
micromass
Nov21-10, 05:39 PM
Mentor
Yes!! It seems you've solved the problem then
radou
Nov21-10, 05:44 PM
HW Helper
Excellent! Thanks!

Btw, I have a feeling I'll be needing that "hint" on some other problems :) It's interesting how "at a first glance moderately easy" problems can cause a respectable amount of trouble.
micromass
Nov21-10, 05:48 PM
Mentor
Yes, you will need the hint on problem 7 to and the hint is also used in problem 12, page 172. It's a neat trick and worth knowing about...
radou
Nov21-10, 05:51 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Yes, you will need the hint on problem 7 to and the hint is also used in problem 12, page 172. It's a neat trick and worth knowing about...
Oh yes, the problem 12 on page 172 is a problem I skipped, and I see there's the same hint there.

Register to reply