Register to reply

Heat Exchanger/Heat Sink

by zeus2kx
Tags: exchanger or heat, heat, sink
Share this thread:
Nov27-10, 11:37 AM
P: 3
Hello Guys,

What is the difference between these two, Heat Exchanger and Heat Sink?


Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
Nov27-10, 01:39 PM
P: 22,288
Welcome to PF.

A "heat sink" can be a specific object that dissipates heat (a metal block with fins) or can be used as a general term describing anything that absorbs or dissipates heat. Technically, it is supposed to be a heat reservoir. Depending on the context, the colloquial usage may not be technically accurate. A heat exchanger is any device that exchanges heat between two mediums.

For example, in engineering a heat exchanger might be a shell that's filled with water with tubes of another stream of water in it. The water itself (that is receiving the heat) would technically be the heat sink.
Nov27-10, 05:09 PM
P: 3
Thanks for reply.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Can this be done with a heat exchanger? General Engineering 6
Is the overall heat transfer coefficient constant for a certain heat exchanger? Advanced Physics Homework 0
Water cooled heat sink Electrical Engineering 4
Heat exchanger Materials & Chemical Engineering 0