37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C

by trixie23
Tags: 378g, degrees, freezing, point, water
Share this thread:
trixie23
Nov30-10, 09:39 PM
P: 1
Hey, I really need help in my chem homework. :(

how many grams of ethyl alcohol CH2OHCH2OH must be added to 37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
symbolipoint
Dec1-10, 01:58 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,795
One must either find this information in a handbook or conduct a determination experimentally. I may suspect that doing the determination experimentally could be difficult, since freezing of a liquid is being watched for. Anybody have a guess, would the solution turn turbid near or at the freezing point? One would want to gently agitate the solution during cooling to uniformly distribute the temperatures.
Borek
Dec1-10, 03:03 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
I guess it is just about cryoscopic constant. What is cryoscopic constant for water? What molality of ethanol do you need?

sjb-2812
Dec1-10, 03:19 AM
P: 427
37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C

Once you have the molality, check you don't mean ethane-1,2-diol, (ethylene glycol), rather than ethanol - the two have different molecular weights, and so will generate different masses...

Register to reply