37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C

by trixie23
Tags: 378g, degrees, freezing, point, water
Share this thread:
trixie23
Nov30-10, 09:39 PM
P: 1
Hey, I really need help in my chem homework. :(

how many grams of ethyl alcohol CH2OHCH2OH must be added to 37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
symbolipoint
Dec1-10, 01:58 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,822
One must either find this information in a handbook or conduct a determination experimentally. I may suspect that doing the determination experimentally could be difficult, since freezing of a liquid is being watched for. Anybody have a guess, would the solution turn turbid near or at the freezing point? One would want to gently agitate the solution during cooling to uniformly distribute the temperatures.
Borek
Dec1-10, 03:03 AM
Admin
P: 23,567
I guess it is just about cryoscopic constant. What is cryoscopic constant for water? What molality of ethanol do you need?

sjb-2812
Dec1-10, 03:19 AM
P: 427
37.8g of water to give a freezing point of -.15 degrees C

Once you have the molality, check you don't mean ethane-1,2-diol, (ethylene glycol), rather than ethanol - the two have different molecular weights, and so will generate different masses...

Register to reply