Traffic dynamics (traveling wave)

by anotherghost
Tags: dynamics, traffic, traveling, wave
Share this thread:
anotherghost
Nov30-10, 10:57 PM
P: 12
The problem:
You are given the problem of analyzing the dynamics of a line of cars moving on a one-lane highway. One approach to this problem is to assume that the line of cars behaves like a group of coupled oscillators. How would you set this problem up in a tractable way? Make lots of assumptions.

Can anyone help me get started on this? I'm having trouble even setting up the differential equation.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
jackmell
Dec1-10, 05:13 AM
P: 1,666
Quote Quote by anotherghost View Post
The problem:
You are given the problem of analyzing the dynamics of a line of cars moving on a one-lane highway. One approach to this problem is to assume that the line of cars behaves like a group of coupled oscillators. How would you set this problem up in a tractable way? Make lots of assumptions.

Can anyone help me get started on this? I'm having trouble even setting up the differential equation.
There is a write-up on traffic flow using first order PDEs in "Basic Partial Differential Equations" by Bleecker and Csordas. Try and find it in the library. This is the equation that is derived:

[tex]\rho_t+M(1-2\frac{\rho}{d})\rho_x=0[/tex]

Although maybe you're looking for just an ODE model.

Register to reply